vakubhai

A big mission for me.

Well friends, I am a new-bee and am setting up a survielance system in a new office. there will be around 20 or so cameras.

1. From the forums I understand that i use rg59 for video. and BNC Connectors.

2. What Should i use for power?? I understand that the cameras require 12v DC. Should i use a centralised power OR individual power adapters??

Do I get adapters with the Cameras??

3. Should i use All cameras as PTZ cameras.??

4. Will be setting up a DVR System. Amd 64 or P-IV with loads of Ram. The DVR Cards would be maybe Chinese. Wanted to Know wether Any software would work on the card other than the software provided?? also PTZ??

5. Also wanted to Know how do i split the video Feed?? Should i use a BNC Splitter to split the feed?? One will Go to the DVR Card and One to a Switcher Which will be connected to the Directors Plasma. Is this the right way of doing this??

6. I understand that the DVR software would allow to watch the cameras over the internet. So that the Boss can do surveilance or present the company setup from his laptop.

I Hope I have a good setup. Please let me know.

If I have all my questions answered in properly. Maybe I can make a tutorial for New-bee From SCRATCH. Also Give me links to any tutorials if there are.

Thanks & Advance.

Roopesh.

Hi & Welcome to the forums ...

1-Yes

2-Centralised - such as Altronix, Pthree, etc, basically an Individually fused Multiple Channel Power Supply. The Voltage type will depend on which cameras you use, 12VDC is more common with DIY gear, while 24VAC is typically used amongst the pros .. depends though on the camera once again.

3-No .. PTZs have their place, but fixed cameras are a priority. PTZs are generally only useful if you have an operator that can always utilize them in live view, as they are not movable in playback. You always want the general views on Fixed cameras.

4-Intel over AMD for sure, and stay clear of the Hong Kong gear, make sure you get a legit card and not a clone. The DVR should be dedicated, no other software running.

5-You can, but it can cause issues sometimes, best to go into the DVR then loop out, if you can, if not it should still work with the T-connector.

6-This depends on the DVR once again .. most of them these days have this feature.

What brand of card were you looking at? If this is for security and especially for a business I would look at getting a decent card, over a budget one. Not all are alike, the budget ones arent always stable and can have many unwanted issues. Best to get something that is tested.

Rory

4 . Any specific reason to choose intel over AMD. The system wopuld be standalone DVR.

The DVR Card should be software or Hardware based.?? The 8 channel card does it have a 8 BNC Connectors on the back?? I feel It has some 15 pin connector. How do i connect to that??

If on a budget What gv card should i go for and what would be approximate cost?? 4 channel or 8 Chnannel?? How many cards can i install in one System??

Should i Go for GV650??

24vac for the cameras especially if they are outdoor and need a housing with a heater/blower - they need 24vac so go 24vac for camera as well.. usually a jumper in the housing to the camera... and most ptzs need at least 24vac not 12vdc

i use intel chipset but dont know if itll make a diff with amd.. get plenty of ram and plenty of hd - im using the 500GB wd drives right now - 1 for 8 and 2 for 16 using a mp4 hardware compression board with all cams recorsding 704x480 - eats a lot of gigs at that res

I've never really understood the importance of an individually fused power supply. I can appreciate the esthetics of the case and its tamper resistance when locked but why not just put all the cameras onto one power supply and let them share the current? Is it because there is a single point of failure that would cause the entire system to go down? The current would vary as different cameras draw different amounts from the PS? The fuse protecting the individual cameras themselves?

Thanks

cctvman

2-Centralised - such as Altronix, Pthree, etc, basically an Individually fused Multiple Channel Power Supply. The Voltage type will depend on which cameras you use, 12VDC is more common with DIY gear, while 24VAC is typically used amongst the pros .. depends though on the camera once again.

Yes, if all cameras share the same single psu outlet without individual fuses then one fault could bring down all the cameras. Makes it easy for someone to short out one camera and kill the entire system.

Individually fused ones should blow only the one fuse for that camera, leaving the others un-affected. Also, many individually fused psu's use resettable fuses rather than a blow-once fuse, so if some one did short one camera on purpose, the fuse would reset itself shortly after the fault went (not all psu's have those fuses though)

Another point is safety, if you power multiple cameras from one outlet, then the fuse for that outlet would have to be rated at the combined current for all the cameras that are connected. So theoretically if each camera takes half a amp, and you have 16 cams, you would need at least a 8 amp fuse (probably a bit more to cope with start up current etc). If a fault occured that means up to 8 amps of current could flow down the fault before the fuse blew.. That would not happen with individual fuses, only half a amp max would flow. (or whatever the individual fuses are rated at)