VST_Man

CCTV cable toner/tracer

I recently watched someone elese troubleshoot a bad RG cable. They used a decent toner and sniffer, which in my opinion worked ok.not perfect.

Anyone out there have a "perfect" method and/or toner/sniffer recommendation?

Thanks.

Anyone out there have a "perfect" method and/or toner/sniffer recommendation?

Thanks.

That 'perfect' word will always get you in trouble at the worst times.

It really depends on if you are trying to find.

The other end of the cable.

Looking for an open.

Looking for a short.

Trying to find the wire in a wall or ceiling.

All have a particular technique. I have made a tone generator out of a siren driver. Makes the signal much louder on the probe which gives much better range. Trouble was if the wire leads got shorted some smoke will leave and you can't get it back. That is experience talking.

BTW is the server on this board on another planet??? Or is the clock off, way off????

I use 2 differant tools 1. TRIPLETT WireMaster XR-5 tests bnc, rj 11, rj 45, usb, and firewire. If my coax checks bad I use a TRIPLETT 3271 TDR CABLE FAULT FINDER to tell me the distance to the open or short on the tested wire. Both of these will run $400.00 to $600.00 at ADI. Also the TDR checks all types of wire so I use it to check alarm runs also. Have you ever looked for a open or short on 600 foot of wire. This will tell you in feet in seconds then you go that distance and find the problem and I have never been off over a few feet.

http://www.triplett.com/ and look at Specialty Testers for the specs