CCTVINSTALLER

Geovison system problem, AGAIN!

A few points.. Once again opening my big m,outh, but Geo is about to release a virtual keyboard, they have replaced the desktop to prevent tampering and disabled CTRL ALT DELETE, there is no way to fully protct a DVR without overheating without using a cage, but some tips are:

1/ Always use a camera on the DVR itslelf, this way even if they go near it they are seen, what good is this you say... well you can use the control room softwrae on geo to send the video to another location or storage device, a smart move is to use a tamper switch that is linked to a relay on the case or Video Masking so that as soon as they come near the box it fires the visdeo away to the control room machine.

2/ Cordless keyboard and mouse are handy as they can be locked away and most staff wont carry in a keyboard

3/ Rackmounts can be bolted down to the wall or brackets.

4/ Here I go again... Geo is also about to release Touch screen and remote control devices, so without them there is no way to do anything, simply, hot glue gun the mouse and keyboard or disable them and they can not touch it.

5/ Anyone can kill the power but using a hard wired UPS usually beats this problem, altough you can remove the plug.

6/ A lame but usefull tip is to use and old VCR and run cables to make it look like it is going to there instead of the DVR then they tend to steal it, especially if your second monitor sits above it, this has worked many times for me!

Oh yeh nearly forgot.. never mount HDD's on top of themselves for any reasons, get agood case like the thermaltake, they have cool one with a lit skull on it My tech has it at home. Antec cases are inexpensive and come with excellent Truewave (in the higher end) power supplies, they use a good 120mm fan that blows directly onto the HDD's and another 120MM at the back of it, removable drive bays are another idea as they can come with fans, but the fans that are small in them usually burn out, but some of them (well the ones I use) have a led display that tells you (with reasonable accuracy) the heat of the HDD.

You can get PCI exchaust devices and a front Drive bay blower that can help but in most cases the Antec will suffice and has many bays and loads of space.. many cases actually have the provisions for additional brackets to mount the HDD's in.

So many times end users add drives and do this and cause problems, Sata cables are good too as they do not block the airflow, in order to move more air you make more noise so you can get either a fan controller tyhat sits in a drive bay or you can just use a resister to allow you to drop the speed and the noise if needed in winter!

Why is Geo reinventing the wheel? XP/2000/ME (and 98 can install it) already have perfectly servicable virtual keyboards that can be accessed even if you change the shell.

Why is Geo reinventing the wheel? XP/2000/ME (and 98 can install it) already have perfectly servicable virtual keyboards that can be accessed even if you change the shell.

or you can just buy a touch screen PC.

Actully that's one of the toy's I want my boss to get in here. The new verison of our software lets you control a PTZ camera by clicking on the screen (it moves toward where you click) and that would be really cool with our network client and a wireless network and a tablet PC.....

i havent had time to test it yet, they also havce itegration with alarm sensors and for some reason it requires two cameras, the sensitivty can be changed to suit... I will get around to testing it soon I hope.