intelli-home

Brand new siamese RG59 has an open in it!!

Anybody ever run a long difficult run of siamese (3 plus hours) to find that the cable has a open in it somewhere.

I ran this piece through walls, crawlspaces and attics with such care not to stretch or kink the cable. I'm Absolutely positive I never kinked or stretched the cable in any way whatsoever! I terminated the ends with twist ons, hooked up the power and nothing. Verified power was fine. Verified camera output was fine. Removed the twist ons and wrapped the braid around the center conductor and ohmed it out at the other end. It's open somewhere. Brad new cable off a 500 foot spool. I shorted one end of what's left on the spool and ohmed out the other end and it's fine.

Guess I have to redo my cable run.

Anybody ever get an open on their RG59?

-Kevin

Thats part of being a pro, ohm your cable when you pick it up.

Now just put your tester on it and start pacing it off.

Sorry to hear that Kevin. Can you bring it back? Of course that doesn't help with re-running a new cable hugh

CollinR, what kind of tester are you talking about? They make something that will find a break in the wire?

-Karen

:(

Sorry to hear that Kevin. Can you bring it back? Of course that doesn't help with re-running a new cable hugh

CollinR, what kind of tester are you talking about? They make something that will find a break in the wire?

-Karen

Yes they make testers that will tell you how far up the cable the problem is, if you have high quality cable it willbe marked for footage so it's a no brainer fix.

As a basic test you can simply take the stub off the center of the spool and short everything togther power, briad and center pin. Then on the free end of the spool you just measure the resistence between each conductor if any one has much impedence (or infinate!) you have a bad spool and should reject it.

One of the biggest problems with cheap siamese cable is that it has two issues, firstly a low copper count, that means it breaks easily, the other is that many cheap manu's put the sheath on the cable and shrink it down with heat, this means that if the outer sheath melts onto the power in any way it will be fine coiled up but straightening the cable and the bit that has melted on will break as it has no give, look for cables that have french chalk or plastic wrap as this lets the cable slide on unravelling, quality cable is a must, copper prices have risen making many suppliers buy inferior products, so be on the lookout