glassman

What cameras to buy?

Hey all...

I'm new here. Looks like lotsa good info in this place.

I'm just now setting up a cctv system for my home and home based business (with several shops). Neighborhood is going downhill and I want to increase security.

Here is what I've got to start with:

Ordered the following to build a dedicated computer:

P4 2.0 ghz with asus p4p800 MB

2- 160 gig HDs

512 MB ram

ati radeon 9600 w 128mb

Also bought a geovision 60fps 8 camera card

Bought 1 swann day night camera from frys just to get something started.

Now then I've been looking at hundreds of cameras until my head is about to explode in all sorts of shapes, sizes and prices.

I just want to record when motion is detected. Does the camera itself need to have a motion detector or does the geo card take care of that (havent gotten the equipment in yet)?

What would be good choices for cameras that are color day/night? I really cant see any reason for zoom or pan. I'll be using about 5-6 cameras to cover the front door, drive and the shops.

Thanks in advance!

Byron..

First, the GEO will handle the motion detection function. As for the camera try and get something with a varifocal lens so you can customize the field of view and if you ever move the camera you will be able to reset the field of view for the new location. Domes are always a good choice and you can get very nice indoor and outdoor domes for fairly low prices. Here is a link as an example on some domes although there are many other places that offer similar cameras.

http://www.vitekcctv.com/Sections.asp?SectionID=1002#6