csingleton

Infrared CCTV Too Bright At Night

I have a CCD IR CCTV Camera. It looks down a drive and at night there are a few lights which mean the infrared doesnt need to do a lot of work. Although the picture seams to be too dark. I have been reading up and i think i need a camera with BLC? Am I right? if so do i need a automatic one, or one where i can turn the blc on/off? Any help would be great. Thanks.[/img]

Are the infrared illuminators operated by a photocell for automatic turn on at dusk? If so, your lighting could be too close to the photocell- thus keeping the illuminators from ever coming on.

If they are coming on and the picture is too dark, it sounds like the camera could be "over spec'd" by the manufacturer. What camera is it?

In the picture, it looks like the camera has a photo cell. If the camera has a working photo cell, the camera will clearly switch from color to black and white around ½ to 1 lux, (Dusk). Then return to color about dawn. As a test, try covering what you think is the photo cell with your finger or something to see if it will switch from color to black and white..