Tim

B/W Sony bullet camera or B/W Sanyo VCB-3524 - Whats wrong?

I have used this Sony bullet camera now outside in the weather as is for 16 months now,a SONY 12 LED infrared Security CCTV Camera 420 lines 0 lux with led's on. I really didn't have anything to compare it to, I guess you can say I'm learning.I found out its a great camera http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5708390539

I thought I would upgrade so I bought a Sanyo B/W CCD Camera model VCB-3524 http://www.camerasuperstore.com/sanvc12ccdbw1.html with 570 lines so I could also use a zoom lens with it and ended up buying a H10Z0812AMS (COMPUTAR®) is a CCTV lens monofocal zoom, 1/2" format (C-Mount) 8 - 80mm f/1.2 10X with spot filter. It features an 8-80 mm focal length and a maximum aperture ratio of 1:1.2.

Well was I surprized the Sanyo camera does not work well at all. I can't see very well at night with it, almost not at all and during the day it blooms with too much white and looks faded or washed out with poor picture quality. Can someone here tell me what it is I'm doing wrong? Is there something I need to adjust or do different?

Thank You,

Tim

First, the bullet camera is not from Sony, it uses a Sony chip and that's it.

Many dealers misrepresent their cameras as being Sony or Panasonic, etc. but they should really be saying they use a Sony or Panasonic chip. Anyway that being said you probably aren't adjusting something properly since that camera is a fantastic camera and your lens is one of the best around. First to check is to make sure you have the DC/VID switch on the camera set to VID. Next make sure your AES switch on the Sanyo is off so it knows you are using an auto-iris lens. After that you have two pots on the barrel of the lens. Once is the video adjustment and it is the most critical. You need a small screwdriver and a monitor close at hand to do the adjustment. Turn the video level on the lens until the picture becomes balanced lightwise. You may have to make some adjustments at night. Also make sure your "C" mount adapter ring is on the camera, this is the little 5mm spacer ring that comes in a bag (it may already be on the camera if someone else used it before you). Without it you won't be able to get a good focus. Try those first to see what happens. If you still have problems you should contact your nearest Computar lens center. You can get that info from their website.

http://www.cbcamerica.com/cctvprod/index.html

I set the A.I (auto iris) lens selector switch to the down postion, this camera had a manual lens, so I assume the other position would be for auto iris. it made a big difference. The two pots on the lens 1. level remote

2. ALC remote please see the link here, these are big picture files and will take awhile to see them http://home.earthlink.net/~midwestmeteor/camera.htm

Are these the pots you refer to? They are down in the lower right hand of the first picture. The other picture is the Sanyo it shows the A.I switch and the E.I electronic iris on switch I think Thank you for you help, Tim

P.S. I have a C mount adapter, picture was without that

Also it did state that it was a sony chip,wasn't clear on brand of camera

Make sure the Electronic Iris switch is off, otherwise the lens and the camera will fluctuate as each tries to control the light. EI is for manual iris only. Also the DC/Video switch should be in the Video position which I think you have done. The ALC is primarily to let the lens know whether to look at a wide scene for light information or a narrow scene. This can help if you have a bright light that might be fooling the lens. The video level is the key to balancing the lens so that it opens wide enough at night to see but closes down enough during the day to compensate for the bright light.

You'll have to play around with it and that is why having a monitor next to you is a great help. Good luck with it, hope things work out ok.

AV Consulting is right about the quality of the Sanyo camera; it's been around for years.

If you want to do a simple (primitive) test to see if the auto iris is actually functioning, try this 'on the bench'; turn the camera off and remove the lens, then lay the lens down so you can look through it. Plug the auto iris lead into the camera, then switch on the power supply. You should see the iris open slightly depending on the amount of light alling on the CCD. Put your hand over the front of the camera and the iris should open fully (no light = maximum aperture). Shine a torch on the imager and the iris should close almost fully. If it's not moving as I've indicated, I agree its possibly switches, set up pots or lens wiring.