mariner

Problem connecting to Webcam from outside of firewall

I cannot connect for the life of me to webcam from outside the LAN. I had it working at one time but I can't get it to work again. I have the 1480 card and updated to 8.1 geovision software. I have a Belken Pre-N hub router and have tried port fowarding 80, 4550, 5550, 6550 and even tried the UPnP option. I have tried changing 80 to 81 but nothing sees the computer. Tried canuseeme.org port checking program and get access denied. The new 8.1 multiview connection icon say host is under protected. Don't know what it means. I have also put the computer outside the DMZ zone and still cannot connect. I wish I knew how I did it the first time but this time something seriously interfering. I disable windows firewall also. I give up!! Anyone know what to do now? I even went as far as to redo the computer just in case. I originally had it the way rory suggested by disabling lots of services and it did run great. Never a problem except for logging on webcam outside my network. I'm about to buy a new hub/router incase the dam thing isn't opening up the ports. Thanks for any suggestions.

In the Geo config make sure the Webcam box is checked, then restart geovision.

It should say Web in the blue box on the R side of the screen.

The problem was I was using the ip address assigned by the router to the dvr which works inside the firewall but once outside the firewall the ip is not seen so I got lucky and tried the ip address of the WAN which was seen by the internet and then it would route me back to the DVR computer. It worked. I have to use IE to change the default IP address in DMMultiview v8100.

Are you thinking of using a Dynamic DNS name?

I find those make it easy to differentiate between LAN IPs and the internet-based traffic when i'm working.

The problem was I was using the ip address assigned by the router to the dvr which works inside the firewall but once outside the firewall the ip is not seen so I got lucky and tried the ip address of the WAN which was seen by the internet and then it would route me back to the DVR computer. It worked. I have to use IE to change the default IP address in DMMultiview v8100.

Yes I did try using Dynamic DNS name service from geovision which is how I figured out the correct IP address that the Internet was seeing but it kept taking me to the hub/router configuration screen inside the firewall. So I tried the IP address outside the firewall and the webcam fired right up. Once I used IE to log on, the DMMultiview made that IP the default IP number. Since I created a DNS name I will try that method but that required a util program to create and I think, required to run in the background. Got more to learn. Thank's for the advice.