jisaac

IE 7 jumping

Has anyone had this issue where internet explorer 7 jumps excessively when you try to hit the drop down address bar?

We tried it for one day at the warehouse. What a joke. If you have to scan more than 3 items using a bar code scanner in a continuous action, it stops responding to the end of the bar code.

After the morning was done and had a chance to breathe, I quickly ran the system restore to get rid of IE7.

Wont be making that mistake again until a service pack has been released.

Runs like a champ for me.... I really like the tabbed interface (stolen from Opera of course) and the cleaner look. Haven't notice it being slower, although it's probably optimized for the new release of Vista rather than XP.

Still doesnt match FireFox for security ..

i wouldnt dream of browsing the web with IE ..

http://www.mozilla.com

@ Khandurian .. whats Bar Code Scanners and a Web browser got in common? Just wondering .. why would you be using a web browser to scan in bar codes, when the best solution would be a client app?

http://www.mozilla.com

@ Khandurian .. whats Bar Code Scanners and a Web browser got in common? Just wondering .. why would you be using a web browser to scan in bar codes, when the best solution would be a client app?

Our warehouse is linked with 4 other warehouses, and we share the same database. Database is full of numbers for equipment assigned to techs and to assign to techs, etc, etc.

Yes, the best option would be to use Firefox, however, me being low management, the upper management does not want us using firefox. Why? I never get a straight answer on that one.

Why dont they use a Client Program for that?

Is it just the software available is only browser based?

Are you guys using Pocket PC .. which then I could see why to some extent.

Though they have development versions for Pocket PC also.

Had the same issue with the Sabre Travel network software ..

Its only ActiveX now, with some Flash and Java. And it only works in IE .

I asked them on the phone when calling tech support, and they didnt know why. If it has to do with remote access from anywhere, trust me most web cafe's wont allow clients to install activeX which is the same as installing a program, but even tougher with all the security now added to web browsers for obvious reasons. i stopped making activeX stuff now, its easier for the client to just download the program from my web site, and it is much more powerful than an activeX can ever be.

I think these development companies will soon catch up ..

Dont let the user be playing a Shockwave online game when theres a power cut, bang the registry gets edited and needs to be fixed manually.

1 word

Money

It's cheaper to have one of the computer nerds in the office to program a database using a web browser versus spending thousands on a database program.

I'm with you 100% on that!

And when I have too much free time I don't pay video games, no, I download and install FireFox plugins, then uninstall them, just to see what they do.

Seriously, IE7 seems to be playing catch-up to where FireFox already is. I haven't see Opera in a few years, wasn't as user friendly as I hear it is now.

Firefox is a great program, no doubt about it. As a former web developer, I know that it has great functionality to test code validity. The reason some stuff only works in IE is because it is OS integrated and has a lot of executing capability and permissions-- also the reason why it is much less secure and prone to executing malicious programs.

me or him?

I dont .. i stopped developing for browsers a while ago ..

but i did play with Javascript image push .. which works but speed and quality of video doesnt match activeX, nor does Java .. nor do the features available .. but then ActiveX is a security risk in IE and still you are downloading and installing something on the users PC .. so you may as well just download a client Application with more features and less chance of it not working due to IE registry mess ups or security settings.

Security-wise its firefox hands down, but as far as functionality goes IE7 is great. Never had any problem with IE7, the tabs are something that should have been added to IE along time ago.