cctvman

Uses for J Hooks

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on the use of J-Hooks. I haven't used these myself as yet, but I hear they are often used for Cat 5 cable. To me this product seems functionally very similar to using a tie wrap yet it still allows for the flexibility of future pulling, because it is not tight on the cable. However it doesnt seem to me like it would have the same force as a tie wrap and therefore more of these J-hooks would be necessary to keep the cable from sagging on visible cable runs. I was thinking of using these for my coax and cctv power runs, would this be acceptable?

Does anyone else use these in a similar manner?

Thoughts/Experience is greatly appreciated.

CCTVMAN

We use them a lot if you ever have to add cable it makes it really easy.

Just size them so you have a little extra capacity. We run a lot of cat5 and tie wraps for cable support are a no no. over time you can get a kink in the cable and it will not pass the higher speed certification tests.

man you know I actually counted our use of j hooks a month. We are putting in aboutr 400 a month now. Goes to show you how much we like. They are great because you create a suspended channel for your cable and makes it extremely easy to pull around multiple corners and never put strain on the cable.

We use them a lot if you ever have to add cable it makes it really easy.

Just size them so you have a little extra capacity. We run a lot of cat5 and tie wraps for cable support are a no no. over time you can get a kink in the cable and it will not pass the higher speed certification tests.

tie wraps are a no no? Is this just true for cat5 or coax as well?

Well I don't think their is any spek on using them on coax but we try to avoid on any finished product because if you add a cable then all the ty wraps get cut and have to be redone or they just add additional ones. Enrico makes a j hook with a little plastic keeper that will hold cables in place. We have also gotten dinged for not using plenum ty wraps if it is a plenum job. Not a big deal it was only a couple and we could change them. They do make a plenum ty wrap but it you use the steel j hooks they are cheaper. We have not done this yet but if you buy velcro in quanity you can get your name/logo printed on it.