griffonsystems

spectra iv

has anyone used the new spectra yet from pelco? the thing i want to check out is the scheduling of tours/presets using its built in time scheduler and to checkout the advancements in wdr and the 22x bump to 35x lens

getting one in a few weeks for a job

setup 2 spec4s last week for outdoor yard coverage and the 35x zoom was very good and the cutfilter to b&w at night had a good clear shot at nite as well.. didnt get into the scheduling tours or presets by time yet tho.. but overall a good upgrade from the spec3

I bought one about about 2 months ago. It's ok, wasn't shocked at the improvements by any means, but it is slightly better than the Spectra IIIse-- but the zoom range doesn't seem all that much further than the 23x surprisingly.

yeah i was expecting to see for miles ok maybe not that far but i did think it was a bit further than the 3 but didnt do a sidebyside test... what ptz cameras are you more impressed with?

I'm most impressed with the IP PTZ's but I have more experience with them.

As for analog PTZ's I like, the Pelco's are dead nuts reliable and have a decent feature set for the price. I have been really been wanting to test out the WV-CW964 from Panasonic because of it's feature set and it's auto tracking feature, but haven't had a scenario pop up to use it yet-- although it's priced competitively with the Sectra IV.

yeah i was expecting to see for miles ok maybe not that far but i did think it was a bit further than the 3 but didnt do a sidebyside test... what ptz cameras are you more impressed with?

I am too lazy to check but are the CCD's the same size for both models as this can affect the zoom ability

I am too lazy to check but are the CCD's the same size for both models as this can affect the zoom ability

The Spectra III, IIIse, and the IV are all 1/4-in CCD.

Be wary of PTZ manufactures' "X" ratings...the 30X, 26X, 22X, 18X etc only refers to the RATIO of the longest focal length to the shortest focal length...it is NOT (unlike binoculars or telescopes) the maximum magnification.

Have a good look at the specs where it talks about the focal length. You will probably find that the 30X will slightly "wider angle" at the fully zoomed out end than the Spectra III 23X and a little closer in (or narrower angle) at the fully zoomed in end than the 23X.

You'll probably find that the Pelco Spectra 22X Color probably has the longest focal length at the zoomed in end, hence can provide the largest magnification.

The X rating, when used on PTZ cameras is misleading. For example:

5-50mm Varifocal = 10X (50 divided by 5)

7-70mm Vaifocal = 10X (since 70 divided by 7 - 10)

But obviously a 70mm lens gives a narrower angle (hence larger magnification) than a 50mm lens.

Hello, the new Spectra IV is very good. We sell a lot of these and have had no returns. The price is a little high, but I find that this PTZ is one of the best out there. Let me know if I can help you any further. Thanks

Spectra III SE 23X: 3.6-82.8mm

Spectra III SE 22X: 4-88mm

Spectra IV SE 35X: 3.4-119mm

Interesting. I learned something there. So there is a mild gain with the 35X, but not quite as much as expected.

Spectra III SE 23X: 3.6-82.8mm

Spectra III SE 22X: 4-88mm

Spectra IV SE 35X: 3.4-119mm

I believe there are even more zoom flavors than just those three, depending on other options of the Spectra series, i.e. color vs b&w camera, etc.