steve6690

colour rendition

I have a Vista Day/Night 1/2" CCD camera which appears very similar to Baxall cameras (do they make them I wonder ?). Is it usual that natural green subjects such as leaves, grass etc appear very light and washed out. ? Browns, blues, reds etc seem to be ok as do green-painted surfaces. The problem seems to be confined to subjects that contain chlorophyll.

Thanks

Steve

It sounds like you are seeing the effects of reflected IR lighting. Most likely your camera in order to boost sensitivity at night does not have an IR cut filter. You get an abnormal amount of IR light coming off of vegetation and even though you cannot see it with your eye the camera is sensitive to it. Not much you can do unless you can find a camera with an IR filter in place.

Thanks for the help. I've just looked at the spec sheet for the camera and it doesn't have an IR cut filter. It is a Vista VPCMH/LV 1/2" HyperHad"with night-time IR illumination" . There is an ExView version of the cam which has an IR cut filter and would have suited me better but now I think I'll redeploy this one to cover my car parked at the front of the house. I learn something new everytime I visit this forum.