Sign in to follow this  
bigmarce

Just a jumpstart

I know most of these subjects are already covered somewhere but I could not find this one. I own a restaurant and just need some basic info to begin my efforts to install a video secuirty system.

In a reasonably low lit restaurant, what should be the basic Lines per inch/resolution for my cameras? I know there is probably an advanced calculus/trigonometry/linear algebra formula to answer this question, but I was hoping that someone could give me a SWAG (Stupid-Wild-Ass-Guestimate) to begin.

Thanks in advance for your patience and hopefully your answer.

basic are; bigger is better but the camera's spec's overall deliver. ie. you can have a tvl of 540 and a lousy pic, but a 380 tvl with a great pic.

resolution only allows more picture size/detail and how the spec's matched up with a decent DVR equal overall pic.

if it were me starting I'd try to get live DEMO's if possible. Specs are many times over the top................got that on Idol. but, there are some decent cheap camera's under 100 bucks that would work fine for you, but I'd recommend more expensive camera's for sensitive areas like the register.

or, trust someone on this site to help you get what you need. I can, and many others can.

good luck