cctv_down_under

Geovision Questons Numerous

Ok you Geo freaks..here we go.

1/ When doing a back up, I use the "Os System Burn" option and it works fine..excepting some DVD's (but that is a windows direct burn issue) but I am wondering if when you burn in this way, are the files still left in the c: cache, I dont want someone filling up my C: partition with the windows burn temp files?

2/ When you lock down the windows desktop in Geovision you can allow certian paths to folders but you can not see them, IE what do you do when you want your user who is locked out of windows to save a .JPG etc file, they can save it where they like but then they can no longer see it becasue until they boot into an unlocked destop they can not see the folder containing the files, any ideas (I have not played too much with it yet as I assume there must be a solution) I have tried allowing a folder but when locked out and allowed to see that folder you can not seem to see the contents. I did find a way to do it through Nero..which is a lso a breach of the lock down...after all if you allow them to use Nero then they can see all the files and delete them as well even when locked down.

3/ In the Video Log, what does the Montior A/B mean in the corner?

4/ Are there any backplanes that can be bought for Geovision as the fly leads are very thin and messy?

5/ If you wish to program the spot monitor using a DSP (In other words only rotate (switch) cameras 1,5,9and 14, why does it disable the real time display on the DVR box, is there any way around this at all.

6/ Has anyone written any scripts for UPS devices to safely initiate shutdowns of software by individual applications rather than just telling Windows to shutdown and causing corruptions?

7/ Does anyone have any cheat sheets for doing a backup, something easy for the customer to follow, or any video files, if so please PM me if you are willing to share them?

1-I dont use that, I backup to a folder first. But I imagine it does leave them in your temp folder until you burn the files, which is why you would see the message "files are ready to be burnt to CD, click here ..".

Check here to see if they are still there.

C:\Documents and Settings\***USER***\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

2-I dont use it, I wrote my own software for this.

3-Good Question

4-What's a backplane?

5-No that is how they programmed it.

6-The UPS Software should use Windows Shutdown, which always sends a Close Command to any open applications. Even if it uses the command line "shutdown" it will still send the close to all.

7-No, but just have them call you and make some AUS$

A back Pane, as I should have typed it, is a panel of BNC connectors, like the Standalones have, that can be put on the rack mount box, getting rid of the fly leads.

All the UPS shutdown does is close the programs, and abrubtly ..just like the "end program" from task manager, the UPS can be scripted so that it can properly close programs and processes.

Which UPS are you using .. I dont actually have one myself .. ill get one someday So i havent had much time to delve deep ..

Also what program/s are you having problems with, is it Geo?

With XP all they really have to do, apart from the usual easy command stuff, is use the InitiateSystemShutdown API ..

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376873.aspx

personally i just use the command line shutdown as its so simple .. and im only dealing with XP. Plus it can be added into a simple VBscript with just 2 lines of code.

Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

objShell.Run "shutdown -s -t 00", 0

Maybe the UPS company is doing something wrong ..

they definately shouldnt be just terminating everything ..

BTW ...

"The WM_QUERYENDSESSION is sent to the top level Window of each application when the user chooses to end a session by either logging off or shutting down Windows (or if a programmatic request to shutdown the system is made). By default, applications return 1 in response to this message, however, if you return 0 then the session is not ended and the system will stop sending the message to any other application."

"Note that your application needs to respond to the message loop for this technique to work. That means that the long operation must be non-blocking, otherwise if Windows sends the WM_QUERYENDSESSION but does not get a timely response it will attempt to kill your application after a short delay anyway. Another thing is that you cannot (for example) put up a dialog or MessageBox here asking the user what to do: if you do Windows will again see that it doesn't get a timely response and will kill your application. "

Ok you Geo freaks..here we go.

1/ When doing a back up, I use the "Os System Burn" option and it works fine..excepting some DVD's (but that is a windows direct burn issue) but I am wondering if when you burn in this way, are the files still left in the c: cache, I dont want someone filling up my C: partition with the windows burn temp files?

In the new Version 8.1 using the Nero burn this is not the case. Using OS burn, It does put the files in the directory, but when you next burn a CD it replaces the files in that temp folder. This is what I have experienced anyway please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

2/ When you lock down the windows desktop in Geovision you can allow certian paths to folders but you can not see them, IE what do you do when you want your user who is locked out of windows to save a .JPG etc file, they can save it where they like but then they can no longer see it becasue until they boot into an unlocked destop they can not see the folder containing the files, any ideas (I have not played too much with it yet as I assume there must be a solution) I have tried allowing a folder but when locked out and allowed to see that folder you can not seem to see the contents. I did find a way to do it through Nero..which is a lso a breach of the lock down...after all if you allow them to use Nero then they can see all the files and delete them as well even when locked down.

For the reasons above, we always recommend our users to backup to an external disk, and navigate on a separate PC. Using the New 8.1 and built in Nero applet, you do not need to add Nero to the Allowed Applications list

3/ In the Video Log, what does the Montior A/B mean in the corner?

I have not used this feature, but I believe it is to set looping points, similar to a DVD player. Set point A and point B and it will play the footage in a loop.

4/ Are there any backplanes that can be bought for Geovision as the fly leads are very thin and messy?

I have not seen any, but if people know of any then I would be interested in finding out more information about them.

5/ If you wish to program the spot monitor using a DSP (In other words only rotate (switch) cameras 1,5,9and 14, why does it disable the real time display on the DVR box, is there any way around this at all.

I shall find out if there is anyway around this.

6/ Has anyone written any scripts for UPS devices to safely initiate shutdowns of software by individual applications rather than just telling Windows to shutdown and causing corruptions?

I believe Rory has answered this

7/ Does anyone have any cheat sheets for doing a backup, something easy for the customer to follow, or any video files, if so please PM me if you are willing to share them?

There are several on our website, but they are branded with our logo, all our documents have to be. We are also in the process of creating demonstration videos as well.

Best regards

James