CCTVnub

Seeking advice on reputable dealers and manufacturers

I need to expand my surveillance system and would like to avoid some mistakes I made during my first purchase from an eBay seller, which was absolutely the worst online buying experience I've ever had. I would really appreciate recommendations for reputable dealers and manufacturers.

Things I learned from my 'nightmare' experience:

* Don't buy from someone who doesn't list their address on their website

* Somehow verify size/type of company. The guy I bought from is apparently a one-man show working out of his home in suburban Jacksonville. Not necessarily a bad thing, but when the answering machine says 'All of our representatives are busy with other customers right now...', and he's the only one that EVER answers the phone, there's a problem.

* Don't buy from dealers who sell Eclipse equipment. It's not my intent to bash them in any way. I don't have the expertise to comment on the quality of their equipment. However, I definately don't like their business model in which all technical questions have to be routed through the dealer. If the dealer doesn't know he has to call the techs at Eclipse. The guy I bought from wasn't very technically proficient (IMO), which led to truly aggravating delays in getting problems solved. And I had a bunch. 4 of the six cameras I purchased had to be returned either because they weren't working correctly, or they didn't perform as advertised.

I could go on, but...

I was trying to avoid getting burned from the start, but somehow I fell into the pit I was trying to avoid. Maybe with your help I can do better the next time.

CCTVnub,

Manufacturers we can help you with, IMO the Japanese brands are still hard to beat overall. As for dealers, I think that's more of a local issue. I could be wrong, but the fact that you are buying from Ebay indicates you wish install the equipment yourself. Not many "dealers" wish to sell products directly to DIY installers because it usually is more of a problem than the it's worth. Perhaps you need a reputable on-line reseller.

As for the size of a dealer, again it's more of a local concern relative to the reputation of the owner/business itself. Ask around town or visit the local chamber of commerce etc. Many dealers are either members or are networked with these folks.

Normic