sham690

Accessing dvr remotely

Hi All,

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place as it is my first post.

I will keep this as short as I can.

A friend of mine has started to install CCTV systems and recently a customer requested a setup where he could view the cameras remotely while he is on holiday. My friend has no PC skills and asked me to help him. I know nothing about CCTV but can setup a network and have done some work on satellite boxes etc. A bit about the setup, the system is setup so all I need to do is setup the remote part of it. Its a jpeg 2000 dvr which is located upstairs there is a wireless router also upstairs and a pc downstairs. The pc downstairs just has broadband connected to it and isn't connected in anyway to the wireless router upstairs? Strange I know. It seems that he got a wire straight from the telephone socket to the wireless router , ignoring the main pc? My question is what is the easiest way to set this up for remote viewing. I have an idea in my head but am not sure. I was going to get another router, run a cat5 from the dvr to the router and another cable to the downstairs pc through the router and use the software that came with it to hopefully get the 3 of them to talk to each other. If setup goes ok will he be dialing into the router or the dvr?

I assume the router will route to the dvr. Sorry for all the questions and I hope this is not too confusing, I am really under pressure to get this done for the guy tomorrow afternoon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ps Getting a wireless card for the main pc is not an option that the guy will consider.

Many thanks.

connect the DVR via CAT5 tot he wireless router down stairs. You'll view the router via the DVR's client software or Internet Explorer if capable.

The router and DVR must be set up properly in the network settings. ie.

Router is setup for;

- obtain IP address automatically

- DNS auto

- IP address 192.168.0.1

- Subnet 255.255.255.0

- IP range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.50

- port forward the DVR ports to the DVR IP address assigned below 192.168.0.20

DVR;

- same settings above except the IP address of the DVR can be 192.168.0.20

- assign a user name and password

If all goes well you'll be able to view via network. The above is an example so don't get wrapped around the axle.

thanks a million for the advice. I know its a bit confusing, the wirless router is upstairs and the pc is downstairs. I just wasnt sure if I could use the wireless router and If I could just run from the dvr to the router and avoid using the desktop downstairs. Thanks again I think I know where I am going with this...

Sham...

Hi,

Had a huge problem installing this.

Need a static IP address so waiting to get this and have to go back tomorrow.

Is there any where I can get full instructions on how to do this?

Having a bigger problem getting into the router?

Any help greatly appreciated.......

Sham

I also suggest setting your DHCP pool as small as possible and have your static IPs before it.

IE

DHCP 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.15 (6 dynamic computers)

192.168.1.1 - router internal

192.168.1.2 - CCTV server

This will prevent problems when rebooting servers, no DHCP users will ever get their static address.

Sorry I am really getting confused now.

What I did last night was set the ip address of the DVR to be like the router also the subnet mask and made the gateway for the dvr to be the router and the router to be the dvr. I could see the cameras using the software that came with the dvr but not using ie7. I didnt port forward as I could not access the router? Do I need to port forward the router?

Sorry about this I am getting really confused.

I basically ignored the pc downstairs and went straight from the DVR to the router and made the ip and subnet mask and gateway the same.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks

Okay I think you have really shafted yourself now.

Set the DVR computer to DHCP mode (Automatic everything network settings).

Attempt to get into your router's config.

192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 whatever was the factory defaut, if you really set this as the same static IP as the DVR you may have to factory reset it using the hardware switch.

What is the make/model of your router? This will effect how any of us help you.

its a sweex wireless router.

I am doing it tomorrow as it takes 24 hours to change to static ip from the ISP. I was told all I had to do was run a cable from the DVR to the Router, change the ip address of the dvr to be like the router and use the same mask etc, then port forward on the router to the dvr ip and port number and then I should be able to view it in IE ?

Is this not the case?

Thanks for your patience everyone.

its a sweex wireless router.

I am doing it tomorrow as it takes 24 hours to change to static ip from the ISP. I was told all I had to do was run a cable from the DVR to the Router, change the ip address of the dvr to be like the router and use the same mask etc, then port forward on the router to the dvr ip and port number and then I should be able to view it in IE ?

Is this not the case?

Thanks for your patience everyone.

It's the "like" part I'm concerned with.

change the ip address of the dvr to be like the router and use the same mask etc, then port forward on the router to the dvr ip and port number and then I should be able to view it in IE ?

Like to me means the same as, if you do that it won't work.

The router should be default to an internal IP of 192.168.2.1, DON'T change it. (Well you can just make sure you know what to and why.)

Set your DVR to

IP: 192.168.2.2

Mask: 255.255.255.0

DNS1: 192.168.2.1

DNS2: blank

Their manuals are so bad I don't even know if the router supports forwarding or not, you may need to upgrade it.

Your ISP will give you a WAN static IP address and DNS servers, this only complicates it from this point. You will have to manually configure your router for this in addition to the port forwarding.

thanks for the advice all I can do is try.

I think I know what I am doing but by reading my posts you wouldnt think it.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

hi,

Finally getting somewhere, what do I put into the gateway setting for the router? Do I use the DNS of the static ip or the ip of the dvr?

Also do I have to use port 80 if he wants to view the camera through IE?

Thanks

Sham.

1. If you have a static IP your ISP should have provided you a gateway, primary and secondary DNS servers. You may well be able to put it into DHCP mode and it may get it automatically. If it does write it down and change the router back to static mode, fill in the blanks from what you wrote.

2. No, you can use many ports if you like, if you use a port other then 80 you will want to configure the router to forward it from whatever port you want back to 80 to the DVR's static internal IP address.

(I'm not sure your router supports port forwarding, you may have to get another...)