blowrabbit

anyone had experiance using a panasonic ptz w/ ge dvmre ??

I have a panasonic wv-cs954 PTZ hooked up to a calibur probridge cbr-pb2-pa unit hooked up as per directions to a ge dvmre at the rs-485 port. the address is set to 1 the baud to 19,200 on both the ptz and the dvr. the ptz is powered up fine and can be viewed remotely. the problem is no action on the wavereader ptz controlls ? I should also mention that the ptz is on default configuration with [data bit =8] [stop bit =1] [parity=none] and that i can only determine this by when the cam boots up as i have no controller for the ptz. I had hoped to controll the ptz thru wavereader??

Hmm....couple of things to check

1) What RS485 network address is your DVMRE configured to? Check that it's set to RS485 address = 1

2) What physical camera connection on the DVMRE is the PTZ connected to?

The issue is that when you're trying to control PTZ off WaveReader, you must physically bring up that camera in single-cameo view. The DVMRE then "sees" the TCP/IP PTZ command coming down from WaveReader, looks at for which camera it's intended, looks at its own RS485 network address, then generates the PHYSICAL binary address based on the combination.

FINALLY, just to confuse things, the actual physical binary address is one less than the camera input.

As an example...(simplest case)

You have DVMRE addressed to RS485 address 1

You have a PTZ camera physically addressed as binary address 1

Therefore...in order to have WaveReader PTZ control, you will need to connect it to physical channel 2 on the back of the DVMRE.

Why is this so?

Because the "old" Digiplex addressing (think KTD-348 Crosspoint 32 Matrix, Digiplex IV Matrix etc) started at binary address zero.

BUT...the Impac DVMRE's started their addressing at binary address one.

So when the two systems were merged...they had to put in an offset to make things work.

Confused....there's a physical lookup table in the manual for the CBR-PB2-KA2 ProBridge...have a look there.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the heads up! I think I heard something about this once? I never have seen the probridge manual you spoke of as I only have the one for the CBR-PB2-PA , [for the panasonic unitized PTZ domes]. I'll have to try this tomorrow. Man this is kinda dicey with setting the Pano dome with only the dip switches and it has to be in the correct sequence of changes and off and ons. The Pano has two seperate settings for either 2 or 4 lines wiring although I think they mean wires not lines?The probridge manual shows the RJ45 adapter/connector to RJ11 as pin 6 to pin 4 and pin3 to pin5 so would this mean its a 4 or a 2 wire communication protocol ? I would guess its a 2 ? And lastly as you say I have the network setting on the dvr at 1 and on the camera at 1 so connect the ptz to the #2 camera bnc on the dvrme.

I seem to recall that the RS485 coming out of the DVMRE is two wire only...pins 3 & 6, I think that's shown in the DVMRE manual where it talks about the RS485 & KTD-405 connections.

As for the CBR-PB2-KA2 manual - try googling it or contacting GE Tech support....they may be able to e-mail it to you or at least fax/scan & e-mail the page that has the lookup table that cross-references binary PTZ addresses against camera input & RS485 address of the DVMRE.

Best of luck...I do know that when everything is setup correctly it works like a charm, as I have done this (with Kalatel domes and Pelcos, admittedly no Panasonics).

well i found out the camera works fine but still not with the probridge interface. ???maybe the probridge by virture of being 5 years old wont work with the newer panasonic SDIII ?

Hmm....that's a possibility.

The CBR-PB2-PA Probridge would have only contained the Panasonic protocols that were "current" at the time. If Panasonic has since changed the functionality of their domes, then yeah, the PB may no longer be able to drive it...unless GE have revised the Probridge.

Is it possible to configure the Panasonic dome to different protocols?

I know that some PTZ's do have multiple protocols - for example the GE Legend and Siemens CCDA1435 series can be set to talk Pelco for example.

I must assume nobody I mean nobody has gone down the dark lonely path of trying to hook up a panasonic super dynamic III PTZ camera to the GE line of dvr's the DVMRe? man its lonely out here???

Sorry blowrabbit, I never tried it with a Panasonic camera...have seen it done with Pelco Spectras & the Pelco Probridge - results were acceptable, obviously functionality was somewhat limited to pan/tilt/zoom, focus in/out, iris control & presets...but it worked.

I have anecdotally heard of a few Panasonics being driven off DVMRE's but have never seen it done. Sorry.