kevmac72

invisible Infra red led for cctv

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to find a really bright infra red led. It needs to be arround the 950nm spectrum so it is invisible to the human eye. I need to provide illumination for a black and white ir sensitive camera. It only needs to illuminate a distance of about 1 metre and powered from a 12v dc source. I can only use 1 led. I have tried a few from Maplins electronics (UK)with what i think is the right resistor, but i only get a very dull glow. Nowhere near enough to illuminate anything from 1 metre.

I have tested the camera using the light from a domestic IR remote control which nearly gives enough light.

Can anyone suggest a 3mm or 5mm ir led and the correct resistor ?

the camera specs don`t give me the iR frequency response but it does react to a domestic ir remote control.

I have tested the camera using the light from a domestic IR remote control which nearly gives enough light.

Can anyone suggest a 3mm or 5mm ir led and the correct resistor ? 1k should good

the camera specs don`t give me the iR frequency response but it does react to a domestic ir remote control I believe just because the remote control's led is narrow angle and the ir led you got probably is wide angle which you may use the camera to find out.. hope my reply is good for you.

Thanks for that

I have just tried an 850nm and 880nm led. Its getting a little brighter. but still nowhere near useful. I will try lower in the spectrum. But I am struggling to find a supplier for leds between 700nm and 850nm in the uk.

Any body suggest any websites for suppliers ?