securicorp

GV-DVR, anybody know where to purchase?

Hello all.

Does anybody know where to purchase the Geo-Vision GV-DVR system? as on their website, its a DVR reasy to go!

Thanks

There are a few distributors that sell them, but they are very expensive compared to the same thing you can build or buy cheaper. Only diff is it has embedded XP.

There are a few distributors that sell them, but they are very expensive compared to the same thing you can build or buy cheaper. Only diff is it has embedded XP.

Hello rory.

Thanks! are the embedded systems potentially any more reliable than a PC based machine?

No more no less, they are Embedded XP so they are still Windows based in this case.

I disagree with Rory there, you can have embedded XP in many forms and you can trim it down massively, I agree that XP hardly has any concerns these dyas if set up correctly, however we have designed an embedded version that suits DVR and this is much more stable.

I know what can be done with embedded XP; the same can be done With XP pro in a Pre Install Environment. Windows XP should never be left in its default state anyway. Example, check out NLite when you get a chance. You can trim down the XP CD from 500+MB to 200MB for example .. this is by removing windows core components and others the same way embedded XP is setup. Its the same OS essentially.

Rory

One thing I have become real hacked off with recently is installing XP – takes longer than building the PC. Tried Nlite some months back but every install failed. Got fedup making coasters so gave up.

Any general advice on using Nlite for a DVR?

Yep, dont remove the components unless you have tons of time and cases of CDs .. well you could do the virtual thing also ..

That 200MB thing I never did finish (only error i got was a registry error) as I dont really make money of DVRs anymore, my main concern turned to Regular PC installs ...so basically I just tweak it in Nlite, services and tweaks etc ... installing XP with SP2 automated only 30 minutes now .. then I made another CD that installs all the common free programs like Skype, AVG, Firefox etc .. as well as some extra tweaks. could have integrated into the Nlite CD (and do have that also actually) but sometimes I just want to install XP only .. I posted another program on here under the DVR card forum that tweaks XP only .. for DVRs.

Basically I can install XP and all other software for a home PC now fully tweaked in under 1 hour .. mostly automated

If i had more time or was getting paid, I would continue with the DVR NLite CD .. but I also have software to write as well now ..

Lots of us will build systems to your specs.

XP embedded images are somewhat hard to come by as they are very hardware specific. You can hybrid XP and XPe as Rory hinted at, they are very similar just broken down differently. Basically you can run all of the best stuff from XPe on XP Pro if you are geeky enough.

Yep, dont remove the components unless you have tons of time and cases of CDs .. well you could do the virtual thing also ..

If i had more time or was getting paid, I would continue with the DVR NLite CD .. but I also have software to write as well now ..

Same thing here. Not enough time and I don't do cctv stuff for a living, but all too often get dragged in.

DigitalSi use Xpe and embedded dvrs

Think its the comart cards only caught a quick glance at one box

you might as well run linux if your going to that extent of modding xp

you might as well run linux if your going to that extent of modding xp

Not really, cause Geo doesnt run on Linux .. plus I'd have to learn Linux coding .. and I dont want to ..

You're just removing XP features that will never be used anyway ..

For Phred .. i also modded BBlean lite Desktop Shell for the Geo DVR ..

Works great .. no more XP Explorer Shell ..

No I know Rory

whats im saying is that if your going to the trouble of modding XP then you might as well use linux, means you have to use a dif card and all,

You dont need to learn code, you can use Live cd Unbuntoo its easy to,

If you setup a PC correctly as you know you can run windows and geo in a stable environment

Prob is people cheap skate on crap and expect it to work, if you want something like that buy a standalone.

YOU cant have it all,

I use standalones to 8chs then its not worth it, PC based is faster and has more features. Its the same story over and over.

Yeah a friend here is going to buy some of the cheaper Avermedia Stand alones for us to test out .. people just cant afford the more expensive gear here now .. and they cant afford a decent PC DVR system .. like too many, they would try to go cheap on the PC hardware and run into problems.

I wonder what we will do though when XP no longer exists ..

Cause if all we got is Vista i think Linux will most definitely be my next move

I have to be able to customize it though .. if only just the Remote Video side ..

thats the main reason I use Geo to be honest, as opposed to say Avermedia PC Cards.

Once you have the modded CD though, it only takes 30 minutes to install.

How long until GEO can support vista u rekon- im going to hang out b4 I buy vista. I heard to much bad stuff about it already I wish Bill gates would fk off and leave it alone. Fix XP and everyone would buy it and support it.

I wish theyd work on a linux disty

Its free and im sure they can find people to get geo onto linux...

Wish i had the itme anr resources to code it myself, prob is got mortgage and 4 kids to feed. Otherwise I would.

Plus we messing with IP PBX to get that going off here, so not enough time and money.

Save all the issue.

I wonder if you can run Geo under Wine on linux...

Not really, cause Geo doesnt run on Linux .. plus I'd have to learn Linux coding .. and I dont want to ..

You're just removing XP features that will never be used anyway ..

For Phred .. i also modded BBlean lite Desktop Shell for the Geo DVR ..

Works great .. no more XP Explorer Shell ..

Cheers Rory, I will check that out.

Fortunately the Vguard cards run just fine on a plain vanilla XP install, so

chopping down XP is more about elegance and convenience and not for

stability/performance.

- although leaving it with the ability to play Call of Duty or whatever is

probably not the best idea.

The fastest way for me would be to stick with the same hardware each

time, install and configure everything then use disk cloning to make a

drive image. It would take less than 5 minutes to copy over the image to a

new drive. Only problem is XP activation/license no. (I know a way round

this but don't want to go there).

Running Linux from a live CD is even more attractive but I would then

need my DVR software and drivers and that is the cruncher.

Writting the code to run H.264 on this hardware is a job for a team of ninjas.

Had a look at Vista not long ago.

I won't be going near it until we have cheap quadcores running at 5GHz.

It's a real hog.