stev

WZ18

To anyone considering this camera due to its affiliation with WZseries(Extreme CCTV) or the enticing specifications provided.

I have learned a hard lesson.

Do your homework thoroughly and always make an attempt to learn from anothers experience.

For certain, I have posted before regarding the issues I had with this and their other "new" Bullet cameras. Basically they are just OEM cameras relabeled, and at a higher cost. I've used much better at a much lower cost.

The Extreme gear on the other hand is typically very good ..

I think they made a big mistake trying to target the budget market, especially with an expensive price tag.

Also, most of the WZ gear including the WZ30's are rubbish as well.

I was beginning to think I had imagined all the problems with those cameras ..

but finally someone else has spoken out

The Extreme equipment is good but doesn't fit into everyone's budget which is where the WZ line was tailored.....I was told the WZ line was originally targeted for schools and hospitals. Not to diminish its use or clients, but intended for medium scale/financially restrictive budgets.

Last week, I reviewed the "glossy" for the new family of integrated Day-Night bullet cameras including the WZ18 and it looked impressive until I found out the price....yikes! Extreme is suppose to unveil these new products at ISC West.....maybe they'll unveil new pricing!

I've only used the WZ49 conical no-grip dome cameras with great success for holding cell applications.

Maybe they will unveil new replacements for them also ..

my colleague wasted alot of money on cameras that he could not sell ..

A client of mine wasted alot of money on several WZ30s also that were the worst domes ive ever used, picture wise.

Geze, I just ordered 2 WZ18's - glad I read this!! They are supposed to be shipped today, maybe I should cancel the order. I've been using several Nuvico NVCC-HW3895IR36N-A's for a couple months now and am happy with them. I thought I was upgrading by going with the WZ's. I thought I did my research, their specs look appealing and seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. What would be a comparable camera, without going over app $500???

thats pretty much it, Bullet cameras dont get any better than that, most you will get for more $$ is a longer zoom lens and perhaps some more IR .. but narrower. Otherwise all the True Day/Night IR bullets are about the same.

Step up from that would be a Day/Night Box camera from GE, panasonic, Bosch, or Sanyo, etc, in a housing with separate IR from Extreme CCTV, like starting with the UF100.

You could still try the WZ18's, but they will not be any better than the Nuvico's. We actually compared them with the Eclipse True Day/Night IR camera which is similar though cheaper than the Nuvico, and the Eclipse was much better. And like i said, my friend never could sell those WZ18's, they ended up in the trash. Also it was told to Extreme, but not sure if they listened or not. Maybe the ones you get will be a total upgrade ..

Thanks for saving me from wasting my $$ !! I called & cancelled my order for the WZ18's. Caught it just in time. Again THANKS!!

I'm going to go with either a Panasonic WV-CP484 or Sony SSC-DC593 in a housing. They both seem basically comparable, any preferences?

How about housings? Is any one brand better than others or is a housing a housing? I live in a very cold location so I'm thinking that a heater might be a good idea.

Rory: Thanks again! Followed your advise and ordered 2 Panasonic WV-CP484's and 2 Pelco EH3512-2 enclosures with EM1450 arms. Going to power the enclosures (not the camera's) with a 24v, 7amp Meanwell SP-500-24 power supply I have laying around.

With your help my home video security system is coming along nicely. Couldn't have done it without your help, not without spending a lot of $$ on trial & error. I would never do this for a living although I do enjoy doing it for myself; really satisfying.

No problem .. what about the IR though, or can you add some motion detector lighting, or is there some light there already .. it is a day night but still needs some light ..

Rory

I thought about the IR but figured I would get these new camera's going before I tackled that. IR is going to be a whole new adventure!!

There's no lighting at all, I do have motion lighting but I'm not crazy about it plus I want video without the motion lights. Half the time I turn the motion lights off, they are real finicky about temperature changes, trees swaying, snow blowing, smalll critters etc... they are always coming on. Gets really annoying so I turn them off a lot. One thing I do have that I like a lot is a dual height Optronics IR outside perimiter motion detection system. That was a fun system to put in plus it works without any problems and never falses.

I guess I have to start looking at IR placement, range, beam angles, and coverage area. I know Extreme has excellent IR lighting but the price is crazy!! I'm not discounting Extreme, just going to look at all my options before I purchase anything. Any suggestions on where to start?

All i use is Extreme for IR

Also, you will need a monitor/TV to focus/adjust the cameras when they come ... in case you dont have one yet .. but you could also just use a 13" TV.

Rory

Thanks. I figured that Extreme would most likely be the way to go, you just confirmed that. I looked at the Extreme lighting but all the variations started to boggle my mind. Guess I have to start learning about IR now, I'll simplify things a bit by only considering Extreme (one less variable).

For camera adjustment I purchased a 13" CRT TV. It's nice & light and I made a contraption to easily & safely hang it where ever I want it while focusing. I have a 19" Tatung Hi-Res monitor that's wayyy to heavy to carry around so I just use the TV. At some point I'm going to purchase a 9" Tatung monitor, just can't afford it right now.

Jim