ronster

LONG RANGE PTZ

That's a tough one. I was looking for something similar and never found exactly what I want. I wanted to mount a PTZ on a water tank to look at a large parking lot. And that was a maximum distance of 1/2 to 3/4 mile.

I did find lenses that would zoom in at that distance but they are huge. To get a horizontal field of view of 50 ft. at 8000 ft. you would need a 768 mm lens with a 1/3 inch image sensor or a 500 mm lens with a 1/4 inch image sensor. For a 20 ft. horizontal FOV, you would need a 2,000 mm lens with a 1/3 inch image sensor.

The biggest problem was, I couldn't find a useable pan/tilt mechanism that would provide the fine control neccessary to make the system useable, yet still pan and tilt at a fast enough speed when zoomed all the way out. If you want to pan or tilt in no larger that 10 ft. increments with that 50 ft. horizontal FOV, that would be 0.07 degrees per step.

I can't remember all the details because this was several years ago, but it seems to me that I did find a system that would do that but it was expensive - something like $10,000 - and used its own special controller. It wouldn't interface with our Pelco matrix's control.

There are cameras out there that have this zoom capability. The only problem is the price. For this type of camera, you are looking at around $9,000.00 to 14,000.00 for a single camera. These cameras are hard to come by. What type of application are you using this camera for?

When you say "view" do you mean facial identification, license plate....?

If you want to see that far with detail, you would have to use something like an Esprit style pan/tilt platform and couple that with a Fujinon 60x optical lens and sandwich a 2x extender in between the lens and the camera.

Being as though the 60x lens is $10,000, the extender is $200, the Esprit Pan/Tilt is $2,000, all that leaves is the camera.... Either way, you're looking at a ton of dough. Even with all that, you're looking at 7,920 feet and I don't even know if a ~$15,000 setup will see that far.

Another issue would be what the camera is mounted to. Any vibration AT ALL in the camera would make the FOV shift when at full zoom, at that distance, unless it was mounted to a gyro-- which is what the military does.