downlifer

PTZ problems with Kalatel CyberDome

Currently running four cyberdome cameras with a Kalatel KTD-312 interface on Remote eyes software....problem is that only 1 of the 4 cameras PTZ functions works properly....the others are very very slow...when a PTZ button is pressed it takes forever for the camera to respond and when it finally does it only moves a few inches at a time...they react the same using the when using the KTD-400 keypad...I've tried just about everything to remedy this problem....any ideas?

using domes, the PTZ control can differ enormously if you're using a bus or a star configuration. Other interesting info is in the type of cable used, and the distances.

Can you tell somthing more on your configuration?

Star config -Cable is shielded 18/2 - RG59 for video. The camera that works is about the longest cable run of the 4 around 200 feet. I should have mentioned that this problem started when the KTD-312 got disconnected from the cameras....everything worked fine before it was disconnected and reconnected.

If you're using a star config I suppose that you're using a signal distributor to have the RS data transmitted (guess GE has this available in their product range) ?

Other important issue with all domes is to see if every star-line is proparly terminated.

I take it this remote eyes software is something differnt from GE's wavereader [and i mention this as Kalalel is a GE product as is wavereader] remote software which is supposed to have the ability to remotely operate the basic pan, tilt and zoom propertys of a PTZ cam ?

The Kalatel RS422 Digiplex wiring scheme cannot be run in star configuration unless you use a dedicated signal distributor such as their KTD-83 or KTD-83-16. Otherwise you will get problems.

In the absence of a data distributor, the only way to run RS422 Digiplex is with a daisychain configuration, where the telemetry wires are looped from one camera to the next. This way you can run the cables up to 3000 metres, IF you are using the correct grade of unshielded twisted pair. I have seen it done with CAT5 cable, but due to the smaller cable size you are more limited in how far you can run the wires.

The other thing to be mindful of is termination - there is a little termination switch inside the CyberDome, literally at the top of the housing (where the little RJ45 connector plugs in).

In a star configuration (with the data distributor) you must have each camera terminated. In a daisy-chain configuration, only the last camera in the daisy chain is terminated, the others are not.

Finally - check the dip switch settings on the KTD-312 to make sure it's set to be putting out RS422.