Swann PC DVR-4-Net Card

My new ISP (FIOS) blocks Port 80, therefore I can no longer view my security cameras remotely.

In the DVR's Basic Configuration mode, I can see that HTTP Port is designated as 80 -- it can easily be changed via a text field entry.

Would changing this port number to another one solve my problem?

What number/port should I use?

(I realize from the manual that a semi-colon with the new port number must be used immediately following the IP address)

THANKS!

IMO you are better off modifing the router forwarding config rather then the DVR config.

In the router just change:

port 80 to port 80

to

port 81 to port 80

This way the DVR never knows the difference and you can have one configuration for all customers. You can also use dynamic DNS to handle the port 80 to port 81 from the client side too.

IMO you are better off modifing the router forwarding config rather then the DVR config.

In the router just change:

port 80 to port 80

to

port 81 to port 80

This way the DVR never knows the difference and you can have one configuration for all customers. You can also use dynamic DNS to handle the port 80 to port 81 from the client side too.

Thanks Collin for your response. I am extremely inexperienced in networking, so I may have to ask a few more questions when I attempt to re-route those ports...

But before I do, I have to ask you one more question, if you don't mind, emphasizing the fact that I have no "customers" per se-- I am only one accessing the security cams from work or while away and don't mind adding a semi-colon and port number:

Wouldn't it be much easier for me to just change the HT TP Port text field in the DVR program and will that procedure even work at all?

Thanks so much, I've already learned so much from this board, great place!

You can do it either way and they should both work.

If you run into trouble be sure to make note of the make and model of your router. ALSO make note of your model and part # of the modem, this way anyone reading this can look up the manuals if we need them.

Hi Collin.

I tried changing the HT TP Port text field entry in the DVR program from 80 to 81.

From my remote location I added the semi-colon followed by the new port number (81) to the end of the IP address -- no go, still could not get in.

Looks like I'm going to have to redirect the router, as you suggested.

The router is an:

Actiontec MI 424WR.

By modem, I'm guessing are referring to the NIC card? (I'm an extreme novice, sorry) If so, it's a:

NetGear FA311

I found my way into the router, so that part is taken care of but once I'm in there, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

I'll try to feel my way along and will hopefully be back to ask a few more questions once I get stuck.

Thanks for bearing with me, I really appreciate your help.

this is simple to overcome,

im assuming port 80 is being used for the apache web server, if this is the case go to the configuration file "h t t p d . c o n f " and change it from listen 80 to listen 81. then restart the dvr and try it, remote view will be like this: just fill in the ip,,, ipaddress:81

one last thing make sure your router is now set up to foward all incoming ports used by the dvr to its address on the network.

this is simple to overcome,

im assuming port 80 is being used for the apache web server, if this is the case go to the configuration file "h t t p d . c o n f " and change it from listen 80 to listen 81. then restart the dvr and try it, remote view will be like this: just fill in the ip,,, ipaddress:81

one last thing make sure your router is now set up to foward all incoming ports used by the dvr to its address on the network.

Where would that file be? In the DVR program?

Actually, I may be further along than I think. Verizon FIOS tech help guided me through a setup with the router today. They had me "port forward" as Collin suggested, but I still can't get in.

(The tech was a newbie so I was trying to bear with him.)

But I'm learning.

What the tech didn't tell me was that the IP address which I'm trying to gain access isn't real. It's the 192.168.xx.xx one that is displayed on the connection window.

I can see my routers IP address in Collin's avatar -- they're not the same!

So 1001, when you say, "make sure your router is now set up to foward all incoming ports used by the dvr to its address on the network" I think that's what I need to do.

Is that a complicated process?

the file i told you should be in the apache folder, probably program files/apache.. or something like that. the ip address you refered to 192.168.x.x is your network address (internal), write it down. now go to the routers settings and look for port fowarding, make sure to foward all of the ports the dvr uses to that address 192.168.x.x. the manual or software you are using should list them somewhere. now you need to get your external ip address, probably the one you saw in the avatar, that is the address you need to connect to the server from the remote location.

its not that hard maybe someone else can explain it better,

First!

What happens when you http://IPINMYAVATAR:81

?

The IP in my avatar will be correct for you very often, it doesn't actually trace requests it's just using the info the browser sends. If you try to hide your true IP that avatar won't know.

Okay assuming that didn't work right.

On the DVR

1. Click Start

2. Control Panel

3. Network Connections

4. Connection properties (right click the connection you use, choose properties)

5. Choose Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the box

6. Click Properties

7. Check "Use the following IP address:"

8. IP address = 192.168.1.2

9. Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

10. Gateway = 192.168.1.1

11. Check "Use the following DNS server addresses"

12. Preferred DNS server = 192.168.1.1

13. Alternated DNS server = blank

14. Set the DVR back up as it was (port 80), however you changed it.

On the router

1. Go to 192.168.1.1

2. Username: Admin Password: password

3. Click Security in the on the top bar.

4. Click Port Forwarding.

5. Click the Red "Add" link.

6. Under "Networked Computer/Device" enter 192.168.1.2

7. Under "Protocol" click the Red "Add" link.

8. Click the red "Add Server Ports" link.

9. In the Drop down menu for Protocol, select TCP

10. Under "Source Ports:" Set to "81"

11. For "Destination Ports" Set to "80"

12. Click "Ok"

13. On the "Add Port Forwarding Rule" Menu, Click Ok.

You should be finished, and problems please post.

Now the IP in my avatar should work for you.

You should probably print this!

If things go bad and you are unable to recover an internet connection!

First try and see if it is a DNS error you are having, attampt to connect to my website directly by it's IP address.

http:\\208.109.140.67

If you get the LVS homepage you know you only have a DNS problem (the router isn't working as a DNS server).

If that is the case try and get the DNS servers from the router's status page. Go to step #12+#13 on the DVR and change those DNS server addresses to the ones in the router's status page.

All else fails...

On the DVR

Redo all the steps up to #7, set the two values on that page to:

"Obtain and IP address automatically"

and

"Obtain DNS server address automatically"

Report back.

Collin, first off, allow me to thank you for your continued help and details instructions. Your willingness to help a complete stranger is truly amazing and commendable. I'd love to be able to repay you, if you ever need a kidney or anything, PM me.

- Okay, when I try IPINMYAVATAR:81, I get "The page cannot be displayed." After making the changes from your instructions, I can connect to other sites the internet with no problems.

- I followed the steps in your instructions exactly. I'm at home, I had my brother try to connect remotely from his location, but he could not.

(Side question: is there an easier way to attempt to test a remote connection other than having to call someone outside my home network to try?)

- Could this be a problem? In the "On the DVR" instructions, step number 8 states, "IP address = 192.168.1.2" I did this as instructed.

My question is this: the IP address of this computer is 192.168.1.6

Should I change the last digit to 6 or leave it as 2 per your instructions?

(Note: there are 3 computers on my home network)

EDIT: I subsequently (one hour after this posting) checked the IP addres and it does now show as 192.168.1.2

- Should I remove the Port Forwarding changes I made with the rookie Verizon FIOS tech??

I haven't yet tried the "Obtain and IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" options yet. I will wait to hear your response before doing so.

Thanks again!!!!

Edited by Guest

Oh it's no problem, I try to be helpful and I have a helpful business model. You should just think of this when you need a new camera or a buddy says they want CCTV. This is free support, paid is usually much better.

Okay I'll help you understand the situation as you might be able to stumple across the answer just testing.

Is the windows firewall on, on the DVR? Is port 80 a valid exception?

Because the internet is based on IP addresses and there are fewer IP addresses available then their are people wanting to get on the internet not evryone can have a unique one. Some smart guy thought up a service called NAT, or network address translation. This allows your router to have 1 IP address yet allow many computers to connect to the internet through it. Thats a simplification and not the only issue with IP addresses but that is why you have 2, 192.168.1.X and whatever my avatar says which is what your router was assigned.

Okay so now you should better see the problem.

So the IP in my avatar is your external IP, it represents all computers on your local network. Inside the router is an DHCP server, what it does is automatically designate IP addresses when your computers log on. HDCP makes setting up networks very easy however it's not so hot for servers. Your router should have a DHCP "pool" of addresses, usually thats 192.168.1.x through to 192.168.1.x.

What we are tring to do is make sure your DVR has a specific internal IP address, 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.6 or 192.168.1.55 makes no difference. What matters is:

The IP address is valid (192.168.1.256+ is not valid)

You know what the address is

The address never changes (DHCP not used) internally

The address IS NOT CURRENTLY IN USE by another computer, 192.168.1.2 probably was. Since as you said you have three. If all computers were rebooted I think you may be done, or if you know which one was 192.168.1.2 just reboot it. Otherwise pick a different number, 192.168.1.100 might work for you, it should not be in the DHCP pool if possible. I personally setup all my servers so they come first .1 is the router/DHCP/NAT/Firewall, .2 through .10 are servers or other routers and .50 through .5x are the network clients. This gives me enough room for 49 servers if needed and over 100 network clients, more then I have ever needed. Thats all more then you need to deal with now but if you add in a mailserver of FTP server you'll start seeing how this can benefit you.

EDIT:

You are better off redefining the DHCP pool to a small number of IPs with room for the DVR either above or below them. This way after a power failure you know no other computer will be assigned it's internal IP address.

A DHCP pool like I mentioned above works well, 192.168.1.50 through 192.168.1.54 in your case. Then the DVR as 192.168.1.2.

Hope that helps some. [/edit]

The next issue is ports, these should be looked at just like the physical ports on the DVR. Keyboard is for keyboards, mouse is for mouse. In TCP/IP there are thousands, 80 is http (web servers), 21 is FTP, 25 is outboand email. Your ISP usually provides several levels of service from really cheap residential to crazy high commercial. If you pay for residental services your terms of service will usually prevent you from running a public webserver. The easiest way for them to enforce that is to simply kill port 80 inbound, no more webservers.

This is why we are tring to make internet requests come in on port 81, it may well be that port 81 is blocked too. If thats the case try port 82 and so on until you find something pinholed.

When computers talk to each other via the internet it is extrnal IP to extrenal IP. For most routers you can browse to the external IP address to test locally without calling someone else. Again the IP in my avatar is your external IP address that the rest of the word can talk to.

Each time they do communicate it is over a specific network port that relates to the kind of communications that will be happening.

Hopefully now you know why we are saying external IP :81 forwarded to internal IP :80.

If you use DHCP and not specify and address on the DVR.

You can BIND the DVRs MAC address to a specific IP howvere I think thats more difficult and often not an option in residential routers.

Edited by Guest

Uh-oh!

I now have a new machine on my network. It's called "new host" with an address of: 192.168.1.100

The connection type is "coax" unlike the rest of my computers which are "ethernet."

Should I be worried about this?

What is it?

I also removed the Port Forwarding changes I made with the Verizon tech -- I hope that was okay.

Let me know about this "new" machine and I'll give you a full report once I know it is something thayt needs to be resolved right away.

Thanks.

======

EDIT - UPDATE

The "new" machine has since disappeared. What was that?

Also, do I need to make changes in the routers firewall settings under the Access Control tab for the DVR machine?

Or should I check the "Exclude" box in the "Protocol, "Source Port" and "Destination Port" to allow for that?

Sorry and continued thanks.

If you have 3 computers plus the DVR then it is depending on your DHCP pool.

If the DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.50 then a 192.168.1.100 is surprising. That is unless the DVR is 192.168.1.100 in which case you are almost there. I assume though that if you had told the DVR to be 192.168.1.100 you wouldn't be surpised from seeing it. I am glad to know you have an DHCP clients table on the router, that can prove helpful. Whoever they often don't watch statically configured clients.

This is a Wifi router right? If so you should make sure the security is enabled. That could very well be somebody across the street using your wifi to connect to the internet.

(You posted while I was editing, so reread. Too )

I have no clue where that came from or where it went. Pretty odd as most script kiddies use DHCP, so I have no idea where .100 would come from.

That "new" machine is back!

The router does indeed have a wireless connector that is used by my laptop -- the security is "enabled."

It is again showing an IP address as 192.168.1.100

I realize that I may not have mentioned that the DVR is a PC based card/program on a stand-alone computer. Could that still be the .100 I'm seeing? Should I make your Port Forwarding changes to this machine?

Also, do I need to make changes in the routers firewall settings under the Access Control tab for the DVR machine?

Or should I check the "Exclude" box in the "Protocol, "Source Port" and "Destination Port" to allow for that?

Checking remotely: when I browse to the IP address shown in your avatar (not the 192.168.1.1) it gives me the same sign-in screen as if I was using 192.168.1.1 ??

So, I still can't check the remote connectivity from home.

Sorry to be such a pain and thanks more.

UPDATE -- Port 80 was NOT a valid exception in the Firewall. I just corrected that. That may have been my problem. Will let you know once I get someone outside my house to check it.

Thanks!

2nd EDIT - UPDATE

aaaaand...that "new" machine is gone again.

- Still a no-go from remote location.

- Ping test from the router prgram to the DVR computer FAILS but browser on the same machine connects to LVS Homepage and other sites..

go to the dvr computer, press start, run, then type cmd and hit enter, then type ipconfig and post the result.

go to the dvr computer, press start, run, then type cmd and hit enter, then type ipconfig and post the result.

Great idea!

Great idea!

Here it is guys:

------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\CCTV>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\Documents and Settings\CCTV>

------------------------------------

Thanks guys for hanging in there and bearing with me. I really appreciate this.

looks like 192.168.1.6 is the address that needs to have the ports foward to it.

Yep, that's the one. Changes were made pursuant to Collin's instructions but still no-go.

Ya think my ISP is blocking inbound traffic from ALL ports? Is that possible?

try to log onto it from inside the network,,, ht tp://192.168.1.6:80

might as well try ht tp://192.168.1.6:81

try to log onto it from inside the network,,, ht tp://192.168.1.6:80

might as well try ht tp://192.168.1.6:81

ht tp://192.168.1.6:80 -- yes

ht tp://192.168.1.6:81 -- no

Whatcha think?

I think you are on your way now.

On the original instructions for the router, change the IP address to 192.168.1.6. So extrernal port 81 gets forwarded to internal port 80.

Okay guys, sorry for the delay but I'm back and yes Collin, we are making progress. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

I had to wait all day to talk to Swann Tech support (Australia time zone) and they supplied me with the port numbers that need to be forwarded.

As a matter of fact, here's the email they sent me:

--------------------

Hi there,

Please follow these steps.

1. Find out your computer’s IP on the network, this will be a number DIFFERENT from your internet IP. It will most likely start with (192.168.1.6). This is the IP address that you will forward the ports to.

2. Log into your router, and find the port forwarding options. If you go to edit**portforward**edit you can find the exact model of your router and select any program and follow their examples for setting up port forwarding.

3. Ports 80, 1159, 1259, 13551 all need to be forwarded to the IP address of the computer as in step 1

4. Once that is completed email me again with the internet IP (you can find at **editwhatismyipedit** and I can test the connection. Also be advised the software must be turned ON and running to test.

--------------------------------

I gave it a shot but I did not do it right because the router software told me I can't forward multiple ports to the same destination.

I'm getting mixed up between coming and going but I think we're very close.

Collin, I think if you gave me a little push using the instructions you posted above and me clearing my head out over dinner right now, I think I can do it.

Continued many thanks!!

*EDIT: (Wed night around 10pm) Just for your edification; the 192.168.1.100(1) that showed up twice and disappeared was my one of my addressable set-top boxes for the FIOS TV. They go on the 'net once or twice a day thru the router to update their parameters. This from the Verizon tech I spoke to today.

**2nd EDIT (Thurs morning around 10-10:30) I've been thinking (that's usually how I get in trouble)...

1) forward port 81 (source) on the router to port 80 (destination) on the DVR computer.

(note: I would still have to use the " :81 " after the IP to browse in

2) forward port 1159 (source) on the router to port 1159 (destination) on the DVR computer

3) forward port 1259 (source) on the router to port 1259 (destination) on the DVR computer

5) forward port 13551 (source) on the router to port 13551 (destination) on the DVR computer

I shouldn't have to make any exceptions on the routers OR the DVR computer's firewall settings because 1159, 1259 and 13551 are ports that are usually open anyway??? ...or no?

make sense???

hope you guys come back soon

**2nd EDIT (Thurs morning around 10-10:30) I've been thinking (that's usually how I get in trouble)...

1) forward port 81 (source) on the router to port 80 (destination) on the DVR computer.

(note: I would still have to use the " :81 " after the IP to browse in

2) forward port 1159 (source) on the router to port 1159 (destination) on the DVR computer

3) forward port 1259 (source) on the router to port 1259 (destination) on the DVR computer

5) forward port 13551 (source) on the router to port 13551 (destination) on the DVR computer

I shouldn't have to make any exceptions on the routers OR the DVR computer's firewall settings because 1159, 1259 and 13551 are ports that are usually open anyway??? ...or no?

make sense???

hope you guys come back soon

1159,1259 and 13551 should all be valid exceptions in the windows firewall. Everything else looks like you should be good to go.

For remote control you might have 3389 (Windows RDP) and 5900 (TightVNC) entered as exceptions but disabled (unchecked). This way you can ask for help by PMing your IP and protocol and then activating them.