PKassab

Help with install parts please

I am installing a 32 camera system in a supermarket and need a way to mount the cameras to the metal studds, its an open ceiling and the only thing to attach the cameras to is the studs, so what have you guys used before and what works really good? Money isnt an issue but the guy wants the install to look very nice, we will either be using mini-dome or C-Mount Cameras so let me know what you guys have used before and i need the camera to come down a bit from the ceiling.

Thanks in advance

Peter K

Peter,

I don't know if this suggestion helps, but in the past we've used this technique for mounting C / CS cameras, with a thread mounting on top.

Apologies for any non US terminology, but on this side of the pond, we've bought in 3 feet lengths of threaded metal rod (called 'studding' here) with the correct thread for mounting a small ball and socket head (readily available from photo dealers etc.)

The cables are then 'tied' down the pre cut length of studding, and the install is finished off with a split flexible conduit (I think it's called Copex) which has an inner open tube section that covers the studding and cables, then a secondary outer cover is push fit into place, to cover the lot. Looks quite neat and tidy if done properly.

Cooperman that is a very good idea and the customer liked that idea thank you very much and i will be stealing your idea from you:)

Do i owe you commision hehe

Peter

Commission .... what's that??

I'm a consultant, you don't think people actually pay me for advice (in my dreams!!).

If you do use the studding, place a 'locknut' against the ball and socket head ( just as a safety measure) and if their is any 'air-con' or plant near the camera mounting points, be aware that even slight vibrations will be amplified over a long length of 'thin' rod, so keep it short as possible, otherwise if you use a telephoto lens you may see movement in the picture.

I had a look at some split flexi conduit over the weekend and it definitely is called 'Copex', but I'm sure you have loads of nice alternatives Stateside.