ahspao

How important is FPS ?

I am putting together a PC bases DVR system. I have a new Intel Dual Core PC and i'm trying to pick out my DVR card now. I only need 4 channels so i've looked at everything from Swann, Q-see...to Geovision, Avermedia and even some ebay stuff. After reading the board i've come to the conclusion that Geovision or Avermedia cards are more expensive but will save me headache in the future...but what i'm wondering is...if I get a 4 channel 30fps card, that gives me a little over 8fps per camera. This system is for a jewelry store so I don't know if 8fps is good enough. I know 8fps is good enough to detect shoplifting but what do you all think is sufficient for a jewelry store ? Should I be going for a real-time 30fps per channel card ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you can afford it, go with the GV800, if not, then the GV650 would suffice, other than that, I would just step right down the the GV250 if they are on a budget due to the price. But for the Jewellery store i would go at least Gv650, they should be able to afford it.

However a colleague here with an alarm monitoring station has a Gv1120 and is running 1fps on all cameras (per camera) on continuous record, and it is fine, they never miss anything. Back in the old days it was typical to be recording at lower than 1fps and they still captured evidence without a problem, well obviously in high traffic areas such as streets, there were issues.

Also, if you have say a 60fps card with 4 cameras, and use motion recording, using "Smart Record" it will adjust the fps depending on which cameras are picking up motion. So if only two cameras are picking up motion at one time, those 2 cameras will adjust to 30fps each. You can also optionally change the fps per camera manually.

I would say channel count is more important the FPS for you.

4 channels is not enough, you probably need twice that.

Have you had losses? If so where and how and if you don't know then how much value?

Rory, thanks for the advice. What you're saying sounds good to me and a GV-650 will probably be a good choice for us. Do all Geovision cards have the "Smart Record" feature ? There should only be 2 camera's detecting motion at any given time unless the place is being raided or something. If all Geovisions have the Smart Record feature then thats definately what i'll be getting.

CollinR, why do you suggest I get more channels ? What is my advantage with more channels ? If you are suggesting that I need more cameras to cover more angles then I'd understand but if its for another reason please let me know so i make a well informed purchase.

Thanks, both of you.

More channels would be so that incase they later decide to add another camera or two.

Yes "Smart Record" is available through the Geo software for all cards, as far as I know, at least the GV600, GV650, and GV800.

Thank you Rory, I'm trying to find a dealer of Geovision cards in my area (Dallas, TX). If you have a chance, can you give me your take on Avermedia cards ? It was suggested that I look at the Avermedia NV5000 card but I don't know if they are in the same league as Geovision cards as far as features.

Ive never used them, dont plan to. Others seem to be happy with them.

I will be testing their budget stand alone DVRs though.

Either way they would be better than a Swan or QSee.

I build and sell both systems, it somewhat depends on your specific needs.

I say you need more then 4 cameras, unless you have like 250 foot front.

Do you have employees or are you the owner/operator?

I have seen employees pull switches with friends using cheap ebay fakes, without video it takes weeks to figure it out.

I build and sell both systems, it somewhat depends on your specific needs.

I say you need more then 4 cameras, unless you have like 250 foot front.

Do you have employees or are you the owner/operator?

I have seen employees pull switches with friends using cheap ebay fakes, without video it takes weeks to figure it out.

As you said you sell Avermedia system, what are quality on those: ESS1104NET and EB1304NET compare to buying system and put in a GV-650?

Thanks.

It's difficult to compare apples and oranges like that.

Never heard of the ESS1104NET. There is an EB1104NET, I don't know much about it. Appears to use MJPEG and does not come with a hard drive and doesn't support WD hard drives???

The EB1304NET is a simplex standalone unit, it can only perform one function at a time. You have to stop recording to playback. I don't sell any standalone systems so i can't help too much.

The real Avermedia comparision to GV-650 would probably be the NV5000. For you as I see you seem dead set on getting a 4 channel unit, you can buy add-on channel expansions or double up the cards.

It's difficult to compare apples and oranges like that.

Never heard of the ESS1104NET. There is an EB1104NET, I don't know much about it. Appears to use MJPEG and does not come with a hard drive and doesn't support WD hard drives???

The EB1304NET is a simplex standalone unit, it can only perform one function at a time. You have to stop recording to playback. I don't sell any standalone systems so i can't help too much.

The real Avermedia comparision to GV-650 would probably be the NV5000. For you as I see you seem dead set on getting a 4 channel unit, you can buy add-on channel expansions or double up the cards.

I just called Avermedia people, and they said that EB1304NET can do Full-plex. So, I ordered a demo unit to test.

How quality and stable of NV5000 compare to GV-650?

One of an advantage of Avermedia is you can stack more than one card in one system.

Thank for all the input guys, I ended up getting a Geovision 800 card with 8 cameras. Figured that I better cover my ass now rather than regret it later. I'll be installing it over the weekend and i'll let you know how it turns out. I viewed a demo of the new software and it looks great ! Thanks again.