Sign in to follow this  
Javik

What is needed to capture at 640x480 or higher?

I am looking at buying the GV800-16 card to build a system of my own, and I am trying to figure out what is the most critical factor in being able to record at high resolutions.

Do these cards use the system CPU for frame compression, or can the cards do the compression themselves? How involved is the system CPU in DVR operation? Does it mostly just shuffle data from capture-card to disk, or is it intimately involved in the compression process?

When buying a 16-camera card, is it realistic to be able to record at the maximum rated framerate AND use a high resolution like 640x480? Or does upping the resolution from 320x240 to 640x480 suddenly cut the card's 120fps framerate down to about one-quarter (30fps) of the advertised speed?

Since 640x480 is four times the areal size of 320x240, does this capture size also cut your maximum recording time down to one quarter of the 320x240 capacity?

-Javik

resolution does cut back on your framerate, there is a great post on this forum that explains this.........if you want full resolution and fps you want to go with a D1 quality card...such as GV-2008 stackable to 16 cameras...avermedia also supplies full D1 cards