CJ

New Cam purchase. Need power advise.

I just received an Extreme EX82. I am going to order the proper 24V power source, but in the meantime I would like to test the unit out. Anyone power this model with a 12V supply? How low can I go in amps if I only want to test the daylight camera?

Any tips for setting up the cameras (ie internal settings) and for resealing the case?

Thanks,

CJ

If you will use 12VDC, you need a 2Amp Power Supply, the extra Amp for the IR at night specifically. If using 24VAC it would not matter.

And use 18AWG for power, anything thinner is asking for problems in the long run. Doubled up Telco wire would work in the short term just to test it though, an installer did that here for 50' and it still worked. But i wouldnt recommend it.

You will need to adjust the Day/Night level to how fast you want it to switch over, the IR you can typically leave at max IR level.

Treat it as 2 different cameras, focus and adjust the color camera as you would a color camera. Do the BW camera separately, must be focused under IR or it will not be the clearest. I just use to get them here and do all the color cameras inside, then at night take them all outside one at a time on a ladder, and just focus them on a 9" BW monitor, with the IR on full in a dark area of the yard .. came out great.

I had to set up the switch over level at the location on some of them, depending on their locations, and how they were initially set up at the factory. But that is easy as its in the rear of the camera.

Expect to spend some time on them, at least double the labour from a Pro Box camera and add labour to adjust IR lighting.

Lastly, physically install them in the day, but they must be positioned in the dark. And the lower they are mounted, the more the IR is pointed just above the ground (slightly upward), and the more reflective objects such as walls, bush etc, are in the view, then the more the IR will be spread out at longer distance. Height around 8-10' is best, but you have to install it where ever you can.