Sign in to follow this  
ncdoc

Samsung Techwin SVR-1650E

Looking for any feedback on the Samsung Techwin SVR-1650. Looks great and has many of the features I need including ability to daisy-chain multiple units for control over a single keyboard (with 3-axis joystick). Also has USB and DVD for archive and uses MPEG-4 compression. Trying to get a demo for testing but would appreciate any feedback if anyone is currently using this system. BTW noticed there are 2 Samsung CCTV web sites with completely different product lines. Thanks,

I wouldnt reccomend it.

I found many-many bugs with it.

Frame by frame playback still isnt useable, and motion detection at the dvr level is useless unless your coverage area is very small.

Saving to DVD takes hours if any length of time is needed.

Overall, for their "premium" DVR, I'm not impressed at all.

Going from the search screen to exit the GUItakes 7 button presses.

While they fixed mostof the bugs I've found, the frame playback bug

makes it annoying and almost useless.

Thanks for the feedback and I understand your points. I just got a demo yesterday and started testing. I expected much more from this unit. Our DVR application is primarily correctional facilities where you are trying to pick out one or two individuals out of 50 or more wearing exactly the same clothing. Quality is the key and we normally sacrifice record duration for quality. Although Dedicated Micros has struggled somewhat with their New DS2 the JPEG recording still looks superior to most of the MPEG4 units I have tested. Because of our application the DM keyboard with full function joystick works well since you can also choose to connect cameras including PTZ directly to the unit. On the other hand we often connect multiple units integrated into our matrix systems. PC based systems are just not a good fit for us until we are ready to sit a PC in front of our officers. DM just needs to get their act together and release units with USB capability.

Samsung GVI makes a pretty good DVR, only thing missing is a browser based interface.

DM is a good DVR too, but its twice the price of a Samsung.

The DM ECO line is good, but DM refuses to put anything bigger than 300b capacity. A 16 channel 300gb DVR is kinda silly in this day & age, where 500gb drives are now commonplace.

The Samsung comes with 750gb capacity, and is easily upgradable to bigger drives if thats not enough, unlike DM.