Today, I received a call from one of [our] commercial banks, needing a CD of a recorded event for the Police. The event was a woman trying to cash a stolen check. Pictures were great. This setup was a computer that we built, with a GEO-600 card. Computer had a CD burner, and Ahead Nero software. Although I think the bank ended up with a good CD, it did in fact take about 45 minutes on the phone for me to talk one of the bank tellers through the procedure. I was reciting the procedure from memory, and the bank teller had never made a CD. The question that I need help with: is there a better or simpler way to make a CD? Thank you.

If the PC is XP Home/Pro, all you have to do is put in the blank CD, open it, drag the files in, then go to file and write these files to CD. Nero is great (it's what I use) but it's for power users rather then novices. The XP method is simple but limited. It will just write the file and thats it. Nero is great if you need a bootable CD, or something exotic like a VCD.

I overlooked that the OS was Windows 2000. Would your example work with OS 2000, and would this produce a CD that could be viewed, and a hard-copy print be made? Thanks. Robert

a stand alone DVR with built in CDR by Kalatel is so simple, but that is a different story. I do it all the time for the police here, and showed a police how to do it in just a few minutes without a built in CDR. He made 8 CDS of video, now thanks to the new models with DVD it is even easier

USB Flash is even more simple.

As for win 2000, once it has nero and a CDRW should be the same as using XP, 98, or ME.

Rory

OK, so what would the procedure be to make a CD. Is there a better way than using the GEO backup to place the segment on the hard drive, and then using Nero to extract the segment (with play-back program) to the CD?

Thank you. Robert

That is the only way, unless you wanted just to save a few AVI files without the viewer, using the back up program does not require you to save it to the HDD Though? it saves it into memory so you can just paste it into your burning program.

The easiest way is to select your times and dates and then paste into nero, but if your customer is not comfortable with that then you could juts save a few AVI files (this is very simple but does not have the program with it).

if your customer is not far away, then Flag the file so it can not be overwritten and then you can do it yourself. We made a document seperate to Geo that does the Backup, it has pretty pictures and every screen shot.

Another thing we have started using is USB flash instead of CD, just copy paste to the drive, just depends on the size of the video you are saving. This will generally run on every computer with USB as an extra drive, even ME 2000 im not sure about. They go up to around 4GB now. ( I think thats the highest), but 512 is normally more than enough for most instances, and even lower.

Rory

We made a document seperate to Geo that does the Backup, it has pretty pictures and every screen shot.

Have been on vacation and just saw this and another post. Thanks to all for you replies. We need a way to "talk" our customers through the process of making a CD. Is there a way that I could obtain a copy of this doument?

Thank you. Robert

Banks, systems integrators, and digital video manufacturers better start adhereing to the standards as outlined by SWGIT. Not final yet but all financial institutions will need to get up to date when it is....

http://www.theiai.org/swgit/

Banks, systems integrators, and digital video manufacturers better start adhereing to the standards as outlined by SWGIT. Not final yet but all financial institutions will need to get up to date when it is....

http://www.theiai.org/swgit/

What is SWGIT, and what does your overall suggestion infer. Thank you.

It's a professional orgainisation for foresinics people. That particular group is a subcommite formed at the prompting of the FBI to come up with standards. I read through a number of their docs and it's all just standard stuff. Make sure the cameras are focused, color balanced, ect. The parts relating to DVR's are the chain of evidence stuff and the making sure you can help the cops get the video. I don't see it being a massive problem for installers and it's only going to affect the US.

Thank you Thomas: Will try to keep those cameras focused, and the color bright & pretty . . . we try to help the police whenever ask . . . thanks again. Robert

If you are deploying a DVR system based on XP Home or Pro operating systems. You can use the built in cd writing software that comes with XP. It supports a lot of CD writer models. This is when you don't have Nero or other 3rd party CD writing software.