Sign in to follow this  
callme jock

Power supply problem

Has anyone came across this problem before?

When switching on a dome PTZ camera, I have to switch the power on and off two or three times before the blue screen gives way to a picture. I am using the power supply that came with the camera 12Volt DC 2amp. The cable run is 40/45 feet using the composite cable supplied. Do you think there is a drop in voltage as it works fine on a shorter run. I should add that the video is using CAT5 with Baluns. It works fine once it is powered up and no problem with the PTZ. It doesn't shut down by itself or anything, the picture is steady and clear, it kinda threw me for a while when it was first installed especially knowing the connections were correct. I thought at first it was a faulty cable until I switched the power on and off.

yes your are pushing your DC power too far, especially for a PTZ. 18 guage is best but despite using best of everything you can't beat the laws of resistance, Amps & voltage loss.

Read the voltage with a digital meter while you move the camera......it most likey will drop or "bounce". It's kinda like not having enough water pressure on the end of a hose supplied by a well/pump. If you demand more than it can deliver the flow weakens, pulses, and becomes unusable with most sprinkler heads.

If you are stuck with DC try using 24VAC and converting that to 12VDC at the other end. You can also use a adjustable higher amp power supply but unless you are perfect at not smoking electronics I'd stay away from it.