If you got a job that required the use of more than 400 feet of PVC or EMT pipe, How would you go about doing this job? Would you find an electrician to run all of your piping or do you just do it yourself?

I asked because every job that i ever did that required piping i hated!! I dont have a problem with PVC, but EMT... Its hard to bend it if you dont know what your doing. So when you guys get jobs that require lots of pipe do you do it yourself or hiring electricians?

we run all of our own conduit, but we know how to cut and bend it properly so it's not much of a problem really..

we run all of our own conduit, but we know how to cut and bend it properly so it's not much of a problem really..

im not too good at it... PVC isn't so bad cause its easy to cut and bend

But PVC is not suitable for outdoors, especially in a hot, sunny climate. It will deteriorate badly within a relatively short time.

All kidding aside Education is a wonderful thing when used.

Google the following.

Benfield conduit video

Then buy the video -

watch the video -

watch the video -

watch the video.

If you are not sure watch the video 4 times. It is well worth the money invested on the first job you do after.

Get the Benfield Manual as well if you like but the video is much easier to understand.

Trust me "Been there and done that"!!!!! You will be sooooooo glad you did.

Hire an electrician/wire runner, this is CCTV, your a tech, do what you do best. If you have the time, the tools, and know how to do it, go for it, personally I wouldnt touch it, I would simply pay someone else, so I can spend more time on what I do (yeah yeah, layin in a hammock all day )

Edited by Guest

But PVC is not suitable for outdoors, especially in a hot, sunny climate. It will deteriorate badly within a relatively short time.

Hmmm, its all we use down here.

Ive had some PVC pipes sitting outside (not being used) just behind my apartment now, for the past 4 years, they look and feel brand new, and they've been in the sun and rain since then, AND, i live right on the ocean.

Perhaps it is the dry Southern California climate. I've seen PVC get brittle or rot out in 3 years.

Perhaps it is the dry Southern California climate. I've seen PVC get brittle or rot out in 3 years.

yeah when i was there i couldnt believe it .. driest place ive ever seen

All kidding aside Education is a wonderful thing when used.

Google the following.

Benfield conduit video

Then buy the video -

watch the video -

watch the video -

watch the video.

If you are not sure watch the video 4 times. It is well worth the money invested on the first job you do after.

Get the Benfield Manual as well if you like but the video is much easier to understand.

Trust me "Been there and done that"!!!!! You will be sooooooo glad you did.

I know how to use Google very well.. And thats how I found this Forum. But if I had no other choice then id Google "pipe bending" or whatever and teach myself. But basically I only wanted to know how the techs on this forum would go about getting pipe ran. Hire someone? Or DIY...

Personally I would hire someone cause I feel as if they would do it Better, and Faster. Not downgrading myself by saying I cant do it as good with lots of practice, but i've seen piping that electricians did... And it looked very neat!

Hire an electrician/wire runner, this is CCTV, your a tech, do what you do best. If you have the time, the tools, and know how to do it, go for it, personally I wouldnt touch it, I would simply pay someone else, so I can spend more time on what I do (yeah yeah, layin in a hammock all day )

..Yeah! I'm kinda lazy to when it comes to that stuff. I'm good at being a Tech and poor at being an Electrician.

I know how to use Google very well.. And thats how I found this Forum. But if I had no other choice then id Google "pipe bending" or whatever and teach myself. But basically I only wanted to know how the techs on this forum would go about getting pipe ran. Hire someone? Or DIY...

Personally I would hire someone cause I feel as if they would do it Better, and Faster. Not downgrading myself by saying I cant do it as good with lots of practice, but i've seen piping that electricians did... And it looked very neat!

I understand your thinking. And if it is a big job and needs conduit I sub that out as well to an electrician that can bend good pipe.

But my point is that conduit bending is not that difficult when you LEARN the tecnique. Mr. Benfield made the video for bending conduit easy to understand. And if you follow some basic rules even the small conduit runs become easy and do look neat. Would it not be more profitable to make a few proper bends yourself than to call someone else to do it??

I'm not trying to sell the video to line my pockets. It is just a great learning tool. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck.

My biggest problem is trying to get my techs to not use 90 elbows on the pvc conduit. I prefer swept elbows. If for any reason I have to add or repull wire the 90 degree elbows will not let the wire pull. It is to "tight". If I have to run out to a dock, gate, gazebo, or what have you, I will use the pipes that they use for sprinklers. No connectors to fail and allow water intrusion. Just a single shot end to end. I will actually use the pipe and bend it in a large radius to get to where I need to go.

Here is a trick. Use orange glue. When you go to check your crew you can look at the joints real fast. You should see purple from the "cleaner", and you should see orange from the glue. If you do not see glue, grab the pvc and twist it real hard. If it squeaks it is loose. Now you can reglue it before you bury it!

The only time I use metal conduit is when I am in a new construction res house and I have wire going down a garage wall. I use the metal to match phone/cable/alarm runs. This is so they can mesh the walls and lay stucco.

I have ran the siamese down the wall and taped over it with metal tape, then had the mesh over this, but I highly recommend conduit in this case!!!!

I recommend that you own your own pipe benders as you never know when you might need one.

I always do my own pipes as I can save money on the project rather than subcontracting and adding a little mark up for ooops factor, or extra profit.

It is not difficult for us to hit the nearest big box hardware store. We usually have to get canned foam, low voltage trim rings, electrical tape, zip ties, drill bits, screws, anchors, or at least have an excuse to talk to that very gorgeous cashier! Excuse me while I bite my knuckle. Oh any ways!!!

Everyone laughs at me because I lay my wire to the side of the trench and I start to put on the 10 foot lengths of pvc, and connectors. After I glue the connectors I will push/pull the wire just to make sure that it did not get any glue on it causing it to stick to the inside of the pipe. Those of you who have followed my posts know of the sales guy that I have been having trouble with. Yes, He laid and buried the conduit on a job, and I asked him about a pull line. No he did not put one in. He actually tried shoving the siamese in to the pvc!!! LOL!!!! I fell over laughing so hard. Oh my Goodness that was the most hilarious thing I have ever seen!!!!

He had to learn the hard way because he use 90 degrees and he had to dig up all 200 feet. He had to cut into the pipe every 30 feet and use my fish to pull the wire all the way through.

Another thing I like to do is test things as I go. I have a 4 amp hour battery that I will hook up to the conduit line, and I will test the line with an lcd screen just to make sure everything works. After I get it ran in to the wall and in to the "structure" I do not have to spend much time trouble shooting systems. If I do not get video then it has to be the crimp on the back of the dvr. It makes it so much easier to have trouble shooting steps out of the way, and resolve stuff quickly.

If I were to run conduit and I had to have a 90 degree turn I would use a box. This would make it much easier to pull/repull wiring.

If you can afford it then hire a crew. I wonder if you can use day labor to bend pipes for you?

I would rather earn 10% from 10 work crews than to earn 100% from myself!

I understand your thinking. And if it is a big job and needs conduit I sub that out as well to an electrician that can bend good pipe.

But my point is that conduit bending is not that difficult when you LEARN the tecnique. Mr. Benfield made the video for bending conduit easy to understand. And if you follow some basic rules even the small conduit runs become easy and do look neat. Would it not be more profitable to make a few proper bends yourself than to call someone else to do it??

I'm not trying to sell the video to line my pockets. It is just a great learning tool. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck.

Thanks able1.. I understand what your saying! I cant aviod learning how to properly bend pipe forever. In this particular field, out of 10 jobs.. 2-4 of them will require pipe and it would be more profitable to learn to DIY. Im just kinda lazy when it comes to that phase of a job... But eventually i'll have to learn to do it because it can add to my resume.

Thanks able1.. I understand what your saying! I cant aviod learning how to properly bend pipe forever. In this particular field, out of 10 jobs.. 2-4 of them will require pipe and it would be more profitable to learn to DIY. Im just kinda lazy when it comes to that phase of a job... But eventually i'll have to learn to do it because it can add to my resume.

If you really want to do it, perhaps take a short course in electrical work, or do some part time work with an electrician. A busy electrician will have you bending pipe and running conduit in no time

If you really want to do it, perhaps take a short course in electrical work, or do some part time work with an electrician. A busy electrician will have you bending pipe and running conduit in no time

lol.. Busy and also Lazy! But thats a good idea rory. You ever try bending pipe rory? If so you any good at it?

lol.. Busy and also Lazy! But thats a good idea rory. You ever try bending pipe rory? If so you any good at it?

Never, and no plans to try it

I watched an electrician doing it the other day though .. i could just pay his guy $20 to bend the pipes for me if I needed it done, otherwise i would just hire him to run all the conduit one time. I dont have the time, dont have the tools, nor have any ongoing requirement for the tools.

I watched an electrician doing it the other day though .. i could just pay his guy $20 to bend the pipes for me if I needed it done, otherwise i would just hire him to run all the conduit one time.

lol... Lazy!

I watched an electrician doing it the other day though .. i could just pay his guy $20 to bend the pipes for me if I needed it done, otherwise i would just hire him to run all the conduit one time.

lol... Lazy!

Not lazy, just working smart. I could be chilling out in the AC making more money with less sweat, Or CCTV work - troubleshooting, testing, installing, or quoting other jobs, while they are doing that.

I can also clean pools, paint, and mow grass, among other things, but I dont

LOL... This guy is hilarious! I like your style.. When i get older and more established i hope i have the same aspects as you. While my guys are sweating in the hot sun bending pipe.. I can be Having a BBQ, Watching a movie, Out at the beach, at the bar..

LOL... This guy is hilarious! I like your style.. When i get older and more established i hope i have the same aspects as you. While my guys are sweating in the hot sun bending pipe.. I can be Having a BBQ, Watching a movie, Out at the beach, at the bar..

Dont forget cleaning the house, getting ready to just hire a maid now

Dont forget cleaning the house, getting ready to just hire a maid now

LOL... Hire a maid thats a part time electrician. Kill 2 birds with one stone! You'll have a 2 for 1 deal. While she's cleaning she can bend your pipe for you. Take some of that load off your techs

LOL... Hire a maid thats a part time electrician. Kill 2 birds with one stone! You'll have a 2 for 1 deal. While she's cleaning she can bend your pipe for you. Take some of that load off your techs

Dont know about that, can you imagine an old haitian lady (or any old maid) out there laying conduit and operating them blow torches ..

The alcholics that painted my apartment also did the tile, needless to say the tile didnt come out great

Dont know about that, can you imagine an old haitian lady (or any old maid) out there laying conduit and operating them blow torches ..

The alcholics that painted my apartment also did the tile, needless to say the tile didnt come out great

That wouldn't be too Cool..

Thats what you get when you hire drunks to do work for you.. You prolly gave them liquor and told them if they do a good job they'll get a few 6 packs

That wouldn't be too Cool..

Thats what you get when you hire drunks to do work for you.. You prolly gave them liquor and told them if they do a good job they'll get a few 6 packs

nah the landlord hired them, someone they knew recommended the contractor who ended up smoking half the time, and running BS by me about how they were doing this and that, while the drunks were doing the work ...!