Hi y'all. Wish I found this forum a few years ago. Graet Stuff.

Went to a small manufacturers rep seminar last week and there were 4-6

DVR reps there all with little demos of course. The one thing that struck me was their pictures on LCD monitors were crisper, better than mine on similar

installs. 4-6 Hi Res color cams on a similar DVR and a 17" LCD monitor.

What are some of the things you all would suggest. Its little to go on I know

but let me know what u think.

You just need to match the LCD to what you will be displaying. Usually you find poeple using 1600x1200 native LCD tring to display a 640x480 video feed. The result is pretty poor, you basically want the lowest native resolution display you can find nowdays. Unless of course you have multi megapixel cameras, then you can use the nicer LCDs with no troubles.

That gives me something to play with. Am setting up a DVR in shop manana.

with a couple of Hi Res cams.

Pricey means what for the Panasonic?

First, I havent used the Panasonic model mentioned, but have used other well know brands, and some not so well known.

An LCD is always a trade off for space saving over quality. Most ones labled CCTV LCDs simply have a Composite to VGA Converter built in. That only really matters if you are using a stand alone DVR with no VGA output, and still you can just use a convertor to a decent non CCTV LCD for the same end result.

Cheaper LCDs will not look as good regardless, primarily due to the lower specs. Check the specs. If its too cheap, then there may be a reason.

As already mentioned, the video is smaller than the native resolution.

If you do not have the LCD set to the native resolution, it will also look worse.

If using a PC based system with an LCD then use DVI for higher quality.

Also, dont use WideScreen LCDs for CCTV.

But no, it still wont match the CRT.

Panasonic, GE, etc, CCTV LCDs, will basically around 4 times the cost of a decent consumer LCD.

Pretty soon, there won't be a choice as LCD panel manufacturers concentrate on HD 16:9 for the consumer market.

Panasonic, GE, etc, CCTV LCDs, will basically around 4 times the cost of a decent consumer LCD.

And 4 times the picture quality!

Cant say, but going by the specs, the Viewsonic 19" $250 model is actually better - for PC based DVRs.

Pretty soon, there won't be a choice as LCD panel manufacturers concentrate on HD 16:9 for the consumer market.

and the thing is HD LCDs are pretty useless down here .. cause we have no HDTV channels ... with regular LCDs against similar HDTVs, a client has like 10 different models in her home now .. they all look about the same .. in fact the HDTV models are not as good quality, but they sure cost alot more ..

When LCd s(flat) started getting popular and more affordable, I just assumed

the picture quality would be better than the CRT.

Right now I am looking at a little 10" Honeywell HMC10 running one Lo Res Kobi and a Hi Res Digi Merge(bleck) and the picture is great. As far as I can see at this point LCD equals slim looking but not so great pic,

Thanks for all the input.