normicgander

GE DVMRe Hard Drives

I need to replace the hard drives in a GE DVMRe-10CT. The original HDs are Maxtor ATA133, 5400rpm. I had identified a replacement in anticipation of having to replace HDs, but the 5400rpm units are unavailable. I read in previous post (Rory I think) that the PS in the DVMRe cannot fully supply the newer 7200rpm HDs. Was the problem with the 12Vdc or 5Vdc or both? The incoming 12Vdc PS can be easily tapped. Any suggestions? Looking for 320Gb HD also...

Thanks, Normic

First question - is the unit still under warranty? If so, I would suggest you contact the manfacturer. If not, then read on.

What size were the original hard drives and was there one or two?

If the original hard drives were 160GB (and there were two of them), you may be able to get away with a single 300GB or 320GB 7200rpm drive.

The issue gets back to power consumption. If you compare the spec sheet of the original 5400rpm drives to the newer 7200rpm drives you'll find that the 7200rpm units draw signifcantly more power, particularly inrush current. Makes sense - it takes more power to start spinning the drive at 7200rpm than at 5400rpm.

GE actually changed the DVMREs from 5400rpm to 7200rpm a couple of years back or so - there was something published on their website to that effect. At around the same time, they also changed the external PSU on the DVMRE. The original units were a "N60" 5A device...the replacement units were physically larger "N70". For a while the manufacturer was offering free swap over of the old PSU to the new one.

The old PSU will almost certainly struggle with 7200rpm drives due to the inrush.

The new one should be OK IF you put in one 7200rpm drive.

If you need/want to put two 7200rpm, then you will almost certainly need to send the unit back to the manufacturer and request the installation of an additional "7200rpm hard drive kit" - this is an additional power supply board that's required for two 7200rpm drives. I am not aware if this part is available as a purchasable spare.

Hope that helps.

GE actually changed the DVMREs from 5400rpm to 7200rpm a couple of years back or so

Dont know, I had to check one the other day, its less than a couple years old .. and has the 5400rpm drives ... unless they changed them on newer versions after that ...?

Below is an extract from the PSU bulletin that they put out back in 2003":

Technical Bulletin

NU-60 Power Supply, used in the following digital recorders:

• DSR Series (DSR2000e, DSR1000eZ)

• DVMRe Family (CT, eZT, CS, StoreSafe)

You may be experiencing symptoms that your NU-60 power supply unit is about to fail.

Your NU-60 power supply may be going bad if you experience one or more of the following symptoms:

• Recorder re-boots all by itself for no apparent reason

• Recorder re-boots from nearby vibration – or from jarring of the PSU cable

• LED on the PSU blinks on and off

• Repeated email notification from unit of power up

• Repeated WaveWatch notification of power up

If you experience one or more of these symptoms, please make arrangements to have your NU-60 power supply replaced by our newer NU-70 power supplies.

This replacement policy applies to any and all NU-60 power supplies you wish to replace, even if they have not yet begun to fail, as well as all spare NU-60 power supplies you wish to replace.

All replacements will be done free of charge.

To order your replacements, please make your request via fax at (541)

752-9097.

The hard drive change-over from 5400rpm to 7200rpm took place (as I recall) late 2005.