rory

Hurricane

1st off => Hope you get through it ok... I know it was pretty intense when Hurricane Juan ripped through here last year.

2nd off => When you do get through it ok... I wanna see some FOOTAGE!!! We got some wicked clips from some of our cameras, until the power went out that is

gotta take down some cameras tomorrow at a client's residence, just in case, they are right on the ocean and walways get direct hits including high swells, and taking down the alarm beams also, on the beach side.

Maybe a couple more i have to take down will know by tomorrow. Plus we will know more by Thursday whether we are going to get it bad or not.

The worst normally misses us due to low water and hits the US hard.

Its like 100 degrees right now, i wish we had a draught to sit in right now, my AC is not working great! Plenty of stray cats and dogs come in my yard, I imagine ill see them scaterred all over the yard when its over

I've just read a news report that said the storm was currently category 4, possibly upgrading to 5 during today. Apparently there hasn't been 2 hurricanes of this magnitude to hit the States a couple of weeks apart, for around a hundred years.

Keep your head down Rory!

yep its going to be a rough one.

im staying in a big old hotel like colonial building, starting this afternoon, they have a generator

gonna get some good digital shots from the 6th floor, during the storm as the stairwells have windows and they wont be sealed off! )))

6th floor ..... windows ..... hurricane......

Rory....

Have you been taking your medication, I'm beginning to worry about you

I don't know a lot about hurricanes, other than when it gets a bit windy, things often fly straight through windows! You don't think a nice reinforced concrete basement (on high ground) might be a safer bet?

Having weathered out a Category 2 Hurricane almost a year ago to the day, I would highly recommend against standing near a window Rory. Unwindowed room, in the center of the building. Don't go for the basement. Make sure you are in high ground, and buy as much propane as you can get your hands on beforehand.

Hurricane Juan decimated my city... It was only a Cat 2... Don't be dumb and hang around a window during a Cat 4 or 5... We're talking large VEHICLES flying around at over 100mph. Brand new, well constructed buildings flying away.

Hunker down, and good luck to you.

Catagory 2 doesnt do anything much to us over here, use to those already. I drove around in category 2 hurricanes in the past, no problems. This is however Category 4.

But the buildings are make from back in the early part of the century, make to withstand hurricanes. Trust me, this building isnt going anywhere, walls are like 5 foot thick.

It is a 6 story building, like a hotel, same thing, right next to Breezes.

Basement, we would drown!

We have a generator I doubt we are going to get anything much anyway, maybe 70-90 mph, which is nothing for Nassau. Thats what the other islands have got so far with minimal damage, I dont know where the claimed 145mph winds are?

Anyway, will keep up to date. Still going to 6th floor to get some shots

Dont worry, only thing that will come through the windows there is the sand from the beach, there arent any vehicles on that side of the building, just sea and sand.

Rory

Ever heard of flying boats?

The clue in the basement reference was (on high ground) !!!

Lets just hope the 140's don't arrive, otherwise you may be picking up your e-mails in Florida tomorrow. Good luck.

yep, no worries, nassau is high ground anyway. We've never had problems with flooding, the outislands do though...they always get wiped out!

looks like arrival here is more like 8am Firday, it has slowed down to 10mph (from 14mph)

made it through, longest 'tropical storm' ive been through in a while, from thursday night til this morning/afternoon, still have gusts from 30-50mph. Its drowning Freeport now been raining there for 2 days now, just in the eye and they are just evacuating more people, the worst is to come, people already dead or injured. Highest windws we got in Nassau were 80mph, 1 related death, most part it was from 50-60mph all the time. Mimimal damage compared to other hurricanes we have been through. Trees down and lamp posts down, etc, normal stuff ...

This is one annoying hurricane ... it wont leave the bahamas!!!

Rory

Rory,

Have you got pictures or video from before the power went down?

I can tell you we're all interested to see how life goes on in the middle of a huricane.

In the middle it's amazingly calm. The most beautiful days I have ever seen have been in the eye of the hurricane. Of course the rest of it sucks. Looking at the ocean you see millions of shades of grey. The water, the sky the rain, it's grey, all differant colors. Beautiful in a depressing way. The surf rises up, crashing down, trees bend in the wind, But it's not what you see...it's the howling of the wind, when the winds are sustained.

Power just back on after 5 days, but still no water

Anyway staying at my parents appt again so got power and water here ..

No pictures sorry, well there are tons in our local newspapers of alot of flooding on the islands that got the real hurricane. Couple people drowned.

I had one location which its genertor took it right through the storm, but you cant see anything as the rain just blurs the camera view.

The others all went out with the power.

We never got an eye as we were on the outskirts of the hurricane. It just rained and blew wind for 48 hours straight!! From Thursday Night to Sunday Morning, wind and rain, the longest tropical storm I have been in yet! Imagien though we only had 40-80mph winds, mostly 40-60, where as the islands north of us had 100+mph winds for 12+ hours straight, as the Hurricane sat on them and did not move for a while, at one point it was actually stationary!! The entire island was / is under water, the Intl Airport is still flooded, they could only get in special airplanes and foodstores are rationing food and water, as they ran out and cant get anymore in from Nassau yet!!! This all going on from last Thursday. Haitian Shanty Towns are destroyed beyond repair. They are going to have to borrow 25 million dollars from the EU for repairs to the country. By the way our national red cross was broke before the Hurricane so they cant help anyone!

I was in the eye of Michelle (our last hurricane) though, it seemed like normal just no rain. Then it came back with a vengeance and lots of wind. That one was a pretty devestating hurricane, for our island at least.

Power guys told me tonight they simply need more linesmen, they are understaffed.

Anyway, by tomorrow night should be back 'in Da Crib' ....

Rory