Sign in to follow this  
deserteaglexxx

New system help.

Can anyone help me design a new system I'm looking for high quality equipment, megapixel cameras. I will have 1 camera covering my driveway very low light at night and another looking at my pool that will be about 25 yards away and would like to be able to zoom in on things. I will also hook up a few cameras in the house any help would be great. I don't know what I will need for a DVR or computer setup and card, what will be more reliable ect. I would like to be able to record in realtime on all cameras if possible.

there are some great threads in this forum on the subject.

from what I know, megapixel cameras are ip based, so you will have to have a network setup to connect the cameras. They will eat up a lot of bandwidth, so you should do calculations first.

Your recording system (PC) will need to be robust enough to keep up with the data from the cameras, running something like LuxRiot. Megapixel cameras will eat up lots of storage space too, another thing to consider.

Mega Pixel technology is still in its youth. Although it is a high tech it is also expensive so get ready to spend. Most MP cameras I have seen are light sensitive so you need good lighting for it to perform well, especially if you plan on using the analytics that some have on-board.

MP video has a very large file size. This results in a requirement for larger storage for recording and archiving. How large the storage drive will typically be determined by the compression technique, frames per second and activity of the scene. This is common of most digital or network cameras.

If you are cost conscious and are open minded, I would suggest something more practical from the analog side that has a digital network interface. It will cost you half as much and you'll be happier with it in the short term till the MP video industry gets more mature.