GunRunner1

inline surge protector

Not sure what sort of surge protector it is, you could ask them if its a once only protection device, and if it is does it have a visible indicator that the protection has been used? Some mains power strip protectors only operate once, ie once they have protected your equipment the protection is lost, and on some, you dont know its happened, so when a problem occurs a second time, your equipment can fry...

Surge Protectors dont protect against brownouts, spikes, etc, the stuff that does the real damage. So its up to you, though I would definitely use a voltage regulator on both the camera power supply and the system.

I don't understand using a power supply on the system?

Are you refering to the DVR & monitor?

They are 120vac. Do they make regulators for 120vac?

Thanks,

Using a Voltage Regulator at the head unit that will handle both the Camera Distributed Power Supply, and the DVR.

To me, the best way to do it, is to put an APC UPS unit ahead of everything else. Your UPS unit should be the first thing plugged into the source receptacle. Then power supply/DVR/monitor should plug into the UPS. The Upper-end APC UPS , and I am sure many others, do protect from brownouts, spikes, etc. as I can watch mine here on my office desk, display a "low incoming voltage" signal alarm often in the Summertime, or during a Winter storm. Go to Tigerdirect, Newegg.com, or electronic store, and I am sure you can find good model. Just that APC, to me, is probably the best I have ever used, and I use them quite often.

No, not all have Voltage Regulation built in, you have to buy one that specifically mentions it in its specs. Otherwise it could get burnt just like a surge protector can during a brown out or other irregular voltage incidents. Most on the links you mentioned wont have VR built in.

I personally don't use any that don't have voltage regulation built-in. Almost all the upper-end APC units also have built-in communication with a PC, in order to access their fault menus, or to check on how much the system is being used. Use the APC 1000 or 1500 models. I guess if I didn't know anything about UPS systems, I would go to a local electronics store and ask. If you buy one for $20, I would almost guarantee that it doesn't have VR. You get what you pay for.