GunRunner1

What type of power do I need for 300' on ir led's

I want to use 3-4 ir led lights 300' out. Appoximatly 1000 mmil amps each.

12vdc .

I can run 12vdc at 300' what gauge should I use?

Or I can run 120vac.. and convert it to 12vdc. near the lights what guage should I use?

Or is there a better way.

Thecamera is 24vac. and I'm using simease cable on it I thick it 18ga. for power.

Thanks,

If the current draw of your camera is not too high (no heater, for example), you can use 'piggyback' on the camera power using a 24 VAC to 12 VDC converter instead of running another power cable for 3-4IR LEDs. Look for these converters on any CCTV site with names like Eclipse, Altronix, etc.

If you add more leds, you will probably want a separate power feed and transformer which you can size using charts that are available for distance and current draw.

Here is a formula for voltage drops

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=4&note=1&PHPSESSID=4bcb5bfed2f00ae9bbd6242504f6acd6

You may need to adjust your voltage to say maybe 15 volts so that you have a good 12 volts at the other end.

Did you say you were pulling 3000 mmil amps total?

I hope you are using the best power supply you can get!

Are you using a home made power supply?

I would go with SureVeillance tip about using 24 volts ac (heavy duty), and converting to 12 volts, at the IR end.

Power the Infrared right at the Infrared LED/Bulb. In most cases, especially with the high powered IR, you are limited to only a few feet.