woodyads

Raid and Hard Drives

http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=29

Thinking of you guys when I read this article. I don't totally agree with this guy as he is not dealing with Enterprise equipment. but he has some good points for low end, home user equipment, (read high end, enthusiast).

However he does have some good data on hard drive failure rates that most of you would find useful. Be warned hard drive failure can be due to shipping technique. In particular if a drive is shipped by air then heats up too quickly in the wrong environment. Most drives are packaged to endure this but if they are removed from the packaging it can create problem.

I started buying direct from the manufacturer, as the OEMs from the distributors are always just dumped in at the top of the box to get mashed up in shipping .. only once in a while do I get an OEM drive from a distributor that is actually okay, most are noisy and damaged. So far every single one from the manufacturer has been great, but at a cost; it is much more expensive than buying from a distributor, and you are still essentially getting an OEM drive in the case of WD.

One reason for the excessive packaging of hard drives is temperature control. Being in a remote location there is a good chance that your drives are being effected by cooling down and reheating up to quick. Sitting in the sun then in a metal cage then loaded onto a plane and taken to 30,000ft Then a couple of hours latter they are back on the tamac. It can create condensation which corrodes the components. It use to be a big issue in the early 90's when distributors were a bit blaze about their packaging techniques. We had failure rates for certain vendors at 10% then others were around 1.5%.