kriznol

Recommendations on 4 chan. standalone DVR w/ motion and WAN?

Hi,

I'm new to all of this, and trying to find a good standalone DVR. I'm looking for one that can do the following:

4 video channels

simultaneous recording of multiple channels

motion activated recording

remote access to recorded videos via the internet

remote agent MUST be Mac compatible

I'd like to spend less than $500, but could spend up to $1000 if needed.

Any advice?

Thanks!!!

Can I ask which part of customer do you deal with?

Restaurant? Small shop? Gas station?

In my case, compression format was so important because of recording duration.

So I suggest you one of MPEG4 products.

But I am not sure there is a product that has a remote agent supports Mac.

This is just for my house/property. I have a machine shop that is a ways away from the house, and also some heavy equipment parked on my property. I've had a few things turn up missing, and I would like to both deter and catch whoever is doing it.

Can I ask which part of customer do you deal with?

Restaurant? Small shop? Gas station?

In my case, compression format was so important because of recording duration.

So I suggest you one of MPEG4 products.

But I am not sure there is a product that has a remote agent supports Mac.

AVTech/CPCam's webbased client should be able to support MAC. They used JAVA applet instead of ActiveX to view.

BUT, you'll need a Window machine to install the full software client in order to set up userid and password.

AVTech/CPCam's webbased client should be able to support MAC. They used JAVA applet instead of ActiveX to view.

BUT, you'll need a Window machine to install the full software client in order to set up userid and password.

They still use ActiveX last time I Checked. Wont work in Firefox either.

Does anyone have/know of a AVTech/CPCam box that I could try logging into with my Mac to test the remote interface out?

Dont know, but if you didnt mind a PC based unit, I could recommend Video Insight, as they use Javascript so it will work in any web browser; no activeX and no java problems. Also GeoVision has the Java browser app. And there are others. Standalone without ActiveX may be hard to find.

Also, the Eclipse Nubix is the Avtec so if they have that to demo same thing.

oh yeah, if I remember correctly, though not typically a DVR I would recommend, the EverFocus 1600 (Cant remember the exact model) has a browser based java interface.

They still use ActiveX last time I Checked. Wont work in Firefox either.

They use java for the newer models. Am not too sure which model u tried.

CPD-560/505/507, etc.

AVTech AVC-781/785/787/783

Just tested on Mac, it works. But u gotta use Firefox on Mac, and not the Mac Safari. Not too sure why.

Tested using Firefox, Mozilla and Opera on Wintel, works as well.

Used a couple different models, the 4 channel 781 and the 16 channel one. Not brand new models though. The Video Server browser app I used uses ActiveX though. Just tested one the other day in FF and it didnt work ... has the activeX control, worked in IE6 though.

Do you have a link to one of the new models we can demo?

Id prefer to recommend them over Everfocus any day of the week

Spoke with AvTech a couple years back about them updating their client software also .. is the new version any different or still the same? For the price still cant beat it, though I would go AvTech model over CPCam version, for price.

Thanks

Rory

I have a fairly-new Avtech 782 deployed overseas. This is a 4-ch unit with CD burner. I can't view it with Firefox on a PC but it works with FF in Linux. I have no idea why - it should work on both using Java.

As mentioned, you really need to use the Video Server E Windows-only app for all the options. The one item missing however is time scheduling of motion recording - you have to do it using the on-screen menus - no fun in my case at 1 fps over a 128 kbs connection.

Some clever person needs to analyze the communication and write a unix app.

If you look on Avtech's FTP site there are some other apps littered around but I don't see anything for Mac or unix.

ftp://211.22.74.18/