Amount of Ram for GV-800's and Combo Cards?

How much ram do you put in your systems?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How much ram do you put in your systems?

• 512 MB
    • 1 GB
    • 2 GB
    • 3 GB
    • 4 GB

Just thought I'd start a thread on RAM for the Geo cards. I usually use 1GB for both GV800's or Combo cards (1120 or 1480). How much is everyone else using? Does anyone see an advantage to using more then 1 GB? The systems I've built seem to be stable and never seem to be short on memory but ram has come down a lot in price these days.

Typically, especially since ram is so cheap now, I think many like myself are using 2GB at least DDR2-667. Need a 2GB option

Darn, there was a 2GB option when I was typing it, I must have screwed up somewhere. Can I edit the pole now and add it in?

I was wondering if that is what a lot are using. I was once told that RAM helps a lot for the remote Viewing server side of things. Rory, do you know if this is true? Just finishing up a nice system with an 1120 card and 3 PTZ's + 13 IR Bullets. I was wondering if bumping up the ram from 1 GB to 2 would help any?

Always helps, Geo is very Memory Intensive, more so than CPU even. More RAM the better, and at only $35 more I think 2GB is worth it.

About the webcam server, doubt it, I occasionally connect to an old Geo PC DVR with only 256MB DDR, 2.6 Celeron, with 16 color cameras, and it is faster than most of the new ones, as they spend $1000 a month on their Broadband speed!

Im actually bumping any new PCs I build up to DDR2-800 now also, as well thats only $40 more than 667.

If I could do 8GB of Ram, I would then be a happy camper.

PS. i updated the poll for you.

Thanks Rory for fixing the pole. After this post, I'm convinced that 2 GB is the way to go for the price. I have discussed this at the PC shop we have been dealing with for years and they say anything over 4GB isn't even used by XP, and that over 2Gb is not really helpful with only XP.

I have found that Rory's "tweak" program speeds up systems nicely too. I really really like that app.

Yeah its only not useful as XP 32 Bit doesnt recognise over 3GB, though 64Bit does. Theres the catch, to get 4x2GB DDR3 RAMs and 64Bit XP.