kpatterson

HELP with an IN PROGRESS project

Evening all i have sold a gentleman on a lower tier DVR and camera system and when i collected the deposit check he wanted to add several cameras over a thousand feet away from the DVR to view some commercial swim/scuba/fish/rv spot rental areas on a sand pit on the same piece of land. if any one is interested in helping me spec some of these higher end cameras and giving me som ehints as to how to sell him on the fact that they are 3 to 5 times the cost of the domes and bullets i sold him for viewing 8 to 20 feet away in lit rooms and under lit eaves, I would greatly appreciate it. If interested just bump my post and i will provide more detailed info

thanks

kellypatterson

Hello Scorpion thanks for replying, I am in the area south of Houston, Texas. I see you are in Melbourne, FL. A couple of years ago I had a contract to do DirecTV installs for a dealer out of Melbourne, was pretty lucrative for awhile.

You were probabley with Satelite Home Theater.

The owners name is Jimmy Soderlund.

He has more trophys, plaques etc for being the largest installer in the southeast.

Yes Scorpion, that would be him and his sidekick Denise, last i heard he went into the mortage writing business, I cant help but wonder if the sub-prime fiasco has left him holding the bag or if he left others holding it, I am still sitting on about 60+ DTV receivers and untold #'s of switches and other periphials as well as 2 Computer Fax systems of his

oh well

I sent you an email with a link to the sandpit in question i appreciate ur taking a look at my post

thanks

Kelly

60+!!!! WOW!

The sad part is that they are not even worth 5 bucks on EBAY!! LOL!

How did you end up with all of those??

Denise became very ill last year. She has recovered, and is doing pretty well. I have met her, but I do not know her.

Jimmy is doing pretty good from what I here. He has a construction company, and he has some high end home rentals.

If he is like some of my well to do customers, then he is having a heart attack like my customers over the property tax going from $2000.00 a year to $12,000 a year! That would make my hair stand on end!! LOL!

I have looked at the map, and converted it to google earth. Looks like a very nice area!

I was busy at the office, and now I am busy with my kids. Yea! I pretend that my kids are bothering me, but I crack up over some of the stuff they do! The boy is 2, and the girl is 5. They amaze me all of the time.

I would be glad to render an opinion.

It seems to me that denise went thru an illness right about the time he was shutting down his Satellite Operations ( or at least what i had helped him set up here in Texas in 5 cities ),

Denise seemed like a pretty good girl, i mostly dealt with her when i was dealing with them and she came out to Texas one time when we opened up the San Antonio market. We had a pretty good time out on the River Walk one night while she was in town.

I was running 7 guys consistently and as many as 12 at times for him with operations in Houston, Dallas, Lufkin, San Antonio and Austin, anyway we parted ways i guess probably sometime the middle to the end of '05. He made a payment to me of 2 checks drawn on a closed acct and then made part of it good on a new acct later and then i quit hearing from anyone in the co. and all my contact #'s for them quit working and I am sitting on a pile of brand new equipment still sealed with unactivated cards and all as well as all the junk that goes with having three mini warehouse stocking operations as well as a couple of stripped down internet boxes with multifunction printers that were used in a couple of markets to disperse work orders......

just some of the fun that came with gathering up all that low lying fruit in some new DBS markets in my area....i rode the wave all the way to the beach and jumped off before it sucked me back out.

The Residential DBS market from what i gather is just unbelievable these days. I did my first install in early 1999 and was paid 200 dollars by the dealer plus nearly another hundred by the customer ( for a pole mount and a wall fish all for a single receiver system that i believe he paid the dealer about 250 for. Nowadays Direct and Dish have beat the FREE into the consumers head and they have no perceived value for the product. Installers are now making about 60 bucks for that same job nowadays or worse yet 100 bucks for a 4 Room System that they supply all the materials for, and material cost and fuel have doubled plus some since then. I am glad that I never fully depended on that stream and was able to get out of it without ever having taken too many or too large of hits.

Oh well that was a rant

take care scorpion

Kelly

LOL .. back to the original question ...

What kind of high end cameras did you have in mind?

True Day Night with Infrared? Also what kind of distances, how is the lighting in those areas?

Basically there are:

1-Day Night Bullet Cameras with IR and Mechanical IR Cut Filters

2-Professional Day Night Box Cameras in Housings with Separate IR such as Extreme CCTV UF100's and UF500's.

3-Long Range Day Night Cameras with IR such as Extreme CCTV EX82, ZX55, and perhaps additional Separate IRs.

Now that said, how you will get the cable there is another issue. However you may want to look at amplifying the video at over 1000' as there will be video loss on RG59 Coax and definitely on UTP (Cat5).

There is also always Wireless if they have even more cash to burn. Average $1500+ Retail per Wireless Setup for one camera, which would include a TX and RX; camera etc extra.

Rory