Robert Oaks

Operating System for GEO-600 cards

Has anyone used the Linux (Suse) operating system with the GEO-600 cards, and if so, have you had good results with it? I am using Windows 2000 now, but getting rather burned out by having to shell out $100 + bucks for every system that I build. Your comments will be most appreciated. Thank you.

No, I am not a partner, and dissapointed that can't use Linux system. I do understand that the XP pro offers some advantages over win 2000. However, have also heard that the XP makes it difficult to make changes to the setup, etc. if there is a need to change components at some point. I need to keep this as simple as possible, as I am mainly in the alarm business, and just do not have the time to devote to learning too much about the computer/video aspect. Are the advantages of using XP worth considering, or should I just stick with the win2000. Thank you.

The only major problem you may run into is windows wanting to be reactivated. The setup issue that you're refering to is tied into the HAL (Hardware abstraction layer) which hides the processor differances from windows. It's why we don't need a seperate version for differant processors, motherboards, ect. As a general rule, if you move windows to a new mobo then reinstall windows. You shouldn't see it more then that.

www.newegg.com

Has OEM copies of windows for about $140.

From looking at it, alot of the clone type stand alones are using generic x86 boxes with a dedicated Linux App. So at least some will do it. A number of cards I've played with have linux drivers but no software.

As a general rule, if you move windows to a new mobo then reinstall windows. You shouldn't see it more then that.

what about all the annoying windows XP frequent hot fixes with automatic updates?

He was refering to the HAL part of Windows. But Rory, a good firewall will prevent just about every thing that will bork a windows machine. If the end user decides to use it to surf the web, then that is their own foolishness.

ok, just checking thanks. If you have a firewall and arent browsing the web it probably doesnt need the updates right?

Not really, but I would do two things under those circumstances. First, it gets it's own connection to the internet. Second, I would use a hardware firewall. Doing that should prevent any virus/spyware related downtime.

Spot on again tom, firewalls are very important and in most routers these days anyhow.

as for Linux cards, there are zillions of them, AVERMEDIA makes a reasonable one, XP is more stable than 2k in my humble opinion and the drivers will work better on XP and because updates are done for XP, you would be better set to use XP than 2k and with XP Pro, you can remotely configure the machines with remote desktop!

As for the HAL, yep its a pain but only if make major changes to the hardware, the extent of the worst case scenario is having to be on the phone to reactivate your Opertaing System (get a new key number), I have heard this can take a while, mind you if you are not going to change much in the hardware you can do it up to three times over the web and that takes about ten minutes from memory

Thanks for the replies; I have been out of town and just getting back to the post. I am always amazed at the level of intelligence that so many of you exhibit on this group. Wish I had a small amount of you expertise. Looks like I will stay with windows (either 2k or xp) which brings me to another question. Although you touched on the subject, I still would like some clarification: It appears that several of you feel strongly that XP may be better than 2k for the Geo-600 cards. I have not used XP, except for the os that came on my laptop. However, if it is considered better than 2k, then I want to change. Is my understanding correct, that I can make as many as 3 hardware changes before having to call Microsoft for [permission] to continue using their xp software that I have paid dearly for? Again, thanks for your input. Robert

That three has some flexablity in it. I've seen it need to be changed after one part change (mobo) and my wifes has never asked for it (upgraded cpu, video card, dvd drive, cd burner, internal sound card...).

gee, ive never ever had to nor would call microsoft

none of the Xp systems i have or have used or know people to have ever have had to 'activate' it. That includes XP Pro and Home, but they are not the newest CDs, maybe a year old.

Here's more info on product activation

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

You can change a significant amount of HW before having to reactivate

question though, this I imagine is in certain versions of XP only, as I dont know anyone over here that has had to activate anything for windows XP?

Yes, there are SKUs and licenses that do not require activation. Here's some more info

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_volumefaq.mspx

Also (and I'm not implying anything here, honest ), pirated versions of Windows are distributed with WPA disabled (but might have problems with updates).

I'm not sure, but I think that there might also be regional differences.

If your Windows copy needs activation, it will bug you for 30-60 days, then will stop working until you activate it (i.e. as soon as you log on, the only available option is to activate it, or it will shut down, no data loss). Please also note that activation is different than registration. With registration you provide personal (identifiable) data, but you can "just activate", and no identifiable data is sent to Microsoft.

Rory, did their CDs have a nice shiny hologram as the top of the disk? It's actully rather trivial to set up an unattended install using a corp key. Given the Bahama's rep with piracy, I'd hazzard a guess they they weren't legit.

they 'were' legit

I am mainly talking about the OS's that came preinstalled like with HP, Dell, etc. The clean version (it was a legit xp cd from ms) I had that never needed activating is going back a couple years now, Ofcourse it needs the normal windows upates..

by the way, if that is how it is going now, then why is not everyone switching to Linux? I know for a fact people here in the Bahamas wont spend $50 on a long distance call to MS to get their $300 copy of windows XP activated for a $1000 (on the cheap side here) computer, not in our current economy! (and you thnk yours in the US was bad)

I havent built any PCs besides mine in a couple years so maybe the shops here activate it first, or perhaps they use 'copies' older versions that dont need activation.

There is major so called piracy in the DVD Movie industry here, dont know about software, but im sure there is also. Since there are no copyright laws here yet, at least they are and will never be enforced withtout the intervention of the US. There are also legit computer companies here though that sell legit software, problem is they charge double what it is in the US while there is not even any customs duty on it! We gettin' screwed big time here.... (tax free is just a myth!)

they sell Pirate DVD movies at the local Burger King drive through, and the gas station I just stopped in for some gas for, they have people selling them there also, even police are there buying them in police cars :

(full disclosure: I work for Microsoft, but I speak for myself here. My only interest is in getting my GV600 card to work at its best, and this forum has helped me immensely in finding the right card for my needs. I'm hoping to return the favor answering computer questions, my area of expertise)

Activation is a 0 cost option (online). No need to call international, you can activate online (or thru local subsidiaries).

The only time you might need to speak with a person, is when you replace so many components in a system that, de facto, is a new PC. I personally replaced pretty much everything (apart from the motherboard), and never had to reactivate, on many PCs. If you replace the MB, you are much better off, anyway, to reinstall from scratch, as the old drivers can really cause trouble.

In general, if you have a legit copy of XP, WPA is a non-issue.