torec

D/V db15 socket on dvr - what is it?

I have purchased Avtech entry level 4ch dvr. At the back is a 15pin d-sub socket labeled as D/V (male). In manual they refer to it as an option to connect a VGA monitor via an ADAPTER. I have RGBHV monitor and i am wondering if i can connect to this port by using a RGBHV 5 wire breakout cable.

Thanks for your help.

You will need the converter for the RGBHV.

The output is digital. I do not have a pin out of the DVR.

Here is the pin out for a monitor.

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_VGA_PinOuts.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

15-pin SVGA Connector PinOut Pin # Pin Name Pin Description

1 RED Video Red Video

2 GREEN Video Green Video

3 BLUE Video Blue Video

4 NA [iD2] Reserved [Monitor ID, Bit #2]

5 GND Ground

6 RGND Red Ground

7 GGND Green Ground

8 BGND Blue Ground

9 Key No pin installed

10 SGND Sync Ground

11 ID0 Monitor ID Bit #0

12 SDA [iD1] DDC data Line [Monitor ID Bit #1]

13 HSYNC Horizontal Sync

14 VSYNC Vertical Sync

15 SCL [iD3] DDC Data Clock Line [Monitor ID Bit #3]

Edited by Guest

Thanks Scorpion. This is where basic knowledge of video formats comes in but i admit i am not up to speed on all of it. So are you saying that the D/V output on dvr is an SVGA? I guess i am confused because the manual has a picture of converter required to connect this port to a VGA monitor. Should i be looking at the SVGA monitor instead. I thought all the later pc monitors are SVGA!

Let me ask you this way: What kind of monitor do i need to connect directly to this port without the need for converter or basically what kind of digital output is this port?

Thanks again.

Forgot to mention the model number if that makes any difference. It's Avtech AVC760. Also the manual refers to this port as simply Digital Video Port.

I always use a CRT monitor as it gives a crisper view. The majority of my customers are looking to save a buck where ever they can. Instead of selling a monitor I just send them to wally world or the big red bullseye, and I have them buy a 13 inch color TV with a composite (yellow) input. These can be bought in the $85.00 range, and cheaper when they are on sale. They are hard to find, but if you can get the 13 inch monitor with the built in VCR then this would be even better. When you want to give a tape to the police you can just pop in a tape, and hit record!

They are getting harder to find as they are now putting built in DVD players nowadays.

I have never hooked up a monitor to these DVRs as the video is not as crisp. CRT monitors can be hung from the ceiling, or they can be built in to a shelf system, or you can use a projector, and a screen.

Most residential customers will want to use the TV they already have without having to buy another TV. You will just use a different input, or source to switch from cable/sat to DVR video.

When I get a chance I will plug a computer monitor in just for giggles. I have a feeling it will not work. If I could find the DVR pinout, then I could find out if I could make a break out cable that would allow the monitor to work.

The VGA converters pull power from the DVR so this is not a passive connection inside this converter.

PS: The 760 is one of my best sellers! This is a very popular model in my area!

Yes, the only reason i am trying to chase this is because i have this nice big RGBHV monitor not being used anywhere else. I've tried emailing factory in Taiwan for pinouts but no reply yet. I suppose the other option would be to use composite (yellow) to RGBHV but i am guessing this is another converter requirement.

Thanks for your input Scorpion.

Scorpion, i've found the cable on ebay when i did a search for RGBHV MALE

(i can't post a link being a new user to this board).

It's listed as a 'ATLONA VGA ( FEMALE ) TO RGBHV ( MALE )BREAKOUT VIDEO ADAPTER'

and

'Atlona`s VGA breakout adaptor is designed to connect RGBHV video sources to VGA displays such as ( Video Projectors, HDTV Televisions, Computer Monitors) or could also be used to connect VGA sources ( such as Computers, Line Doublers, cable boxes, satellite receives, game consol's ) to a RGBHV display. Adapter is bi-directional, therefore signal can either be sent from RGBHV to VGA or VGA to RGBHV . Adapter comes with BNC female to RCA male adapters which could be used if display or source requires RCA type of connections.'

Do you think this would work? It looks like cables only, ie no boxes with electronics inside...

I truely do not know. I would say give it a try, and live, and learn, and then post the results here for us to know as well.

I doubt that it would work.

You may end up using the DVR converter, then using the converter that you just described.

if thats the same budget model eclipse sells, im pretty sure it is a dummy port, only available on the more expensive units.