rkm

First post looking for help on a stock yard.

I have a customer that is having issues with people throwing trash into his fenced in stock yard. He is looking for 6 cameras. 2 need to be able to to pan and zoom remotely. He wants Very good video quality. He would like to get a license plate. I told him that is a task at hand.

I have only used speco TN series DVR's. I wanted to see if I could find a better unit that would work faster over the net. I find the viewing over the net very choppy even over cable modem. Then again I may be asking to much.

I do like the speco cams. I am interested in the HT-650PTDZ. It had a motorized pan and tilt with a 3x digital zoom. It has 540lines of resolution so with the 3x maybe I could pick up a license plate given I have the perfect time of day with no issues of reflection of the plate. With this cam it looks like I have to use the RC-650 remote to control the cameras. I just want to confirm that. I have never installed one of these. However for the price and what it does. I may be asking entirely to much.

The customer is trying to talk me out of selling him a monitor. He wants to view on the net only. I don't think he understands what he is getting into, or maybe me being so new to this that I don't know the correct product to offer him.

Any help for brands or any other information would be great....

I have been reading other threads. It appears that I am not the only one with video quality over the net.

For the DVR he needs it to internet ready, It needs good quality recording, a dvd/cd burner of some type. It needs to be easy to use. I keep seeing this banner for CoviSec on this site. I am going to look into them a little later.

check out avermedia 1704net...........4 cams, you can stack them

6 cameras to catch the trash monster? I'd lean towards the 3130 with IR. One of these in the right spot and you'll get 90 degreees of detailed pics.

CCTVone has a LPR camera that is decent for the $$$

WOW just got back from looking at the customers place. I have sooooo many questions I don't know where to start.

1. I talked him into keeping a monitor to view live images.

2. He wants to have a back up of 3 weeks or better. He is thinking the motion detection recording will save me a ton of HD space.

3. He is looking for 6 cams for now with room to grow.

4. Need good image. He would like to pull up a recorded image and zoom it in to hopefully get a license plate.

5 we are looking at 5 still cameras, and 2 PTZ's that will pan the lot.

Here comes the big stuff. The main building is a good 100' long not an issue for 2 cameras (1PTZ, 1 fixed) From this building he had 1" Outdoor burial pipe put into the ground. It comes up at 3 different poles along the side of his road. 2 of the poles get cameras. another (fixed camera, and 1 more PTZ.). From the last pole he has this burial tube going all the way to another building he has on the lot. On that corner of the building I was thinking maybe 1 more PTZ to scan a big area with a lot of equipment or a fixed camera with a wide view. Luckily on this same corner of the building. I will be putting a camera inside to monitor what is going on.

I made sure he was going to have good lighting at night. The issue I have is the damn 1" pipe from one building to 3 loops (poles) and then to the last building. May not sound as bad however you didn't hear the best part. The distance is probably close to 1/8-1/4 mile.

So now my dilemma is getting the video back to the DVR over something I can fit into this 1" pipe. We are talking 4 cameras minimal in that pipe. I would like more for spare.

What do I do. IP? its going to exceed the 330' I am at a total loss of where to begin. Well not a total loss. I first came here to post my concerns, next I will call my rep.

Any more ideas on the situation would be appreciated.

use CAT5 gel filled direct bury cable. do not use rg or CAT5 indoor.....gel filled direct bury. 1000ft. goes for around 200.

plan on using active baluns

plan on installing cameras onto an insulated platform to prevent ground loop. ie. I use 6x6x3 plastic sealed boxes, mount the plastic box first, dome last. weatherproof cables inside plastic box. PTZ will be hard to insulate unless you can get a nonmetal mount.

need more info;

- longest camera run. list longest to shortest and type of camera at each drop.

- how many more cameras will you add later? Via this same 1" underground pipe?

- you'll need to power cameras as close to the camera as possible. How many feet to power?

this sounds like a storage facility job I did awhile back...........longest camera was at 850ft. Gel filled CAT5 was used........

Thanks for the info.

Just got off the phone with the help desk. They kind of push you around a little. .

he did say the same thing. CAT5 with adapters, 2 pr for the PTZ's single pr for the fixed camera. I will be going back out with a measuring wheel to get proper distances. I'll probably put 3 cables in the pipe if the customer goes for it. It will be his decision. He set me up with a camera that specifically does license plates That one is on the second pole pointing at the road as someone would drive in and turn around.

Another thing. Every time a ask my rep about a PTZ the get all weird, and say things like I'm sure the customer will change their mind once they see it is 2k or what ever.

check out the 10x mini PTZ's..they are nice and affordable.........since your covering a 100ft. building a 10x is plenty......

what is your climate like?

3 cables? you are talking 3 CAT5 gel filled direct bury?

CAT5 with adapters? Baluns are the proper word and ask if they are passive (non-amplified) or active (amplified)........stay with amplified if possible..........but make sure you can power them.

as I suggested above, check out the 1704net. It's a Hybrid 4 channel. You maybe able to do a POE with the PTZ's................makes life so much easier. And if you need more channels you can build your own 16 channel Avermedia (6480express with a Dell C2d 2.33 with 20" monitor for around 1200us)

PTZ works great if you have a dedicated security team who sees something suspicious like a shop lifter, person in the parking lot, etc, and the guard can use the PTZ to zoom in and track what the person is doing. Using them to scan or do guard tours is generally not very satisfying unless you are looking for relatively static targets.

I think you give the owner one PTZ to play with and consider swapping the other one for 2 fixed cameras.

Great info here...

Thanks very much.

I was talking about 3 gel filled cat 5E cables. I need 2. 2pr for each video (4), 2 more pr for each PTZ for control. That leaves me with 1 full cable and 2 additional pr.

Our climate is usually gets down to about 20 for a few days in the winter and up to the 90's in the summer

Good call on the one PTZ swap idea.

He has someone that stayes at the building all the time. He is giving that person full access to the DVR for suspicious activity.

I will be looking into the 10x PTZ you talk about. Is it from the same site?

Thanks guys.

CCTVOne.or do a WEB search.........

Whats your plan on powering cameras? You don't mention that. You need to consider the distances and reduce that as much as possible. Check your voltage drop charts for wire used. PTZ will be the hardest to power beyond 100ft.

Audio?

save some channels for >

add a IR overview for night

and a number plate cam -or very good quality megapixel day-nighter to get a plate.

you need to catch them not look at them !

my 2c

z

Ohh sorry i forgot to mention the power. Well on the 2 poles. Their is power available there. They are putting up lights also. SO power isn't a big issue now. Just an outside box tapped into the power lead and a transformer. Sounds easy enough.

As for the plate reader My tech help priced me in one for the second pole. This cam is shooding down the street where the cars have to turn around. I have never installed one of these either. He says it is strictly for license plates. Damn thing was quoted as much as the PTZ.

Trying to go back to the site with a measuring wheel to see exactly what I am looking at with distances.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Got some distances today. The longest distance to a camera is 1480'. Their are a few loops where the pipe the cable is pulling through comes up out of the ground and another one starts to the next location. This is going to make it really difficult to pull.

Looking at one of the poles (wood) where a camera is to be setup. I have a pipe at the base that is stubbed up, and another that goes to the next pole/destination. I assume an electrician will fit these pipes into a box at the base of a pole. I know I need to request a weather tight electrical box with a plug in it to power the camera. My main concern is the cat5 cable. If I am simply running a loop and using Baluns do I need to loop the cable all the way to the top of the pole or can I cut the Pr. I need at the base in a box and solder/crimp to extend the pr up to the camera? Is their a better way to do this? remember I still need the other pairs in that cable to run other cameras on additional poles.

Thanks

Ryan

Who makes the 10x mini dome you talk about. I looked up the web site and didn't see it listed. Maybe I need an account with them...

The easiest way to do that is install a junction box at the bottom of the pole with the power outlet for the camera. Since the distance is 1400 ft. + I would use an active balun which also requires power. Then you can run cctv coax from the box to the camera. Another thing you may want to consider for the ptz cameras are pelco cameras. They allow the control to go down the same pair as the video (called coaxitron). Instead of 2 pairs for each ptz camera you only have one.

So in short the box would contain:

1. Power supply for camera (recommend using a surge or lightning protection on the power and video side)

2. Video balun and its power supply

As for the loops you have. You can splice the cat5 but you have to do it correctly. There is a maximum distance the wire can be untwisted without degrading the signal too much. I try to stay under 1/2". For the distance you are going with only a couple splices you should be fine.

Good deal. I shouldn't need to splice anything with the Baluns. I wasn't thinking about it actually converting to rg59 then going up to the camera. That makes since now. My supplier has me price with 2 pelco PTZ's. So that is good to know.

Thanks for the info...