rkm

Camera for a boat dock.

I am on a task to put 2 cameras on my parents boat dock to cover their entire pier. It should only take 2 of them. Esthetics are not that important. However I was kind of looking at bullets. My task is VERY sharp images. I want to ID a person, boat #'s etc. I have full range of placement for the cameras. We have steps that come down say a 100' hill/cliff. It has a seating landing about half way down. So it is nice and elevated. I have a good view of everything. Lets say I have a object view of 50' or a little better that I want to be able to identify.

The equipment is still up in arms of what I want to put in. So far I have only put in Speco stuff. So all I was looking for was good recording resolution, and playback/live resolution. We are going to play it back to a 55" plasma. So resolution is the key here. We have had issues with people taking things, and being disrespectful.

Here is the cameras so far that I have selected.

Wide Dynamic Range Color Bullet Camera

(WDR-B1)

This color dome camera uses Pixim DPS technology, the industry's wide dynamic range solution, that delivers accurate video capture and color accuracy in challenging lighting conditions such as glare, direct sunlight, reflections and strong backlight 24/7. It is weatherproof.

- 1/3" PIXIM sensor (410K)

- 128DB wide dynamic range for your toughest back-lit situations

- 540 Lines resolutions

- Extreme low light sensitivity

- Multiple pre-set modes for many common applications to speed up installations

- Full manual controls to fine-tune tough situations

- Dual voltage operation

- Switch between NTSC and PAL formats

- Extreme stability and noise reduction uses less HDD space when recording

- Multiple settings for best color imagery

- 3-9mm Auto iris lens

Also available:

Wide Dynamic Range Dome Camera that is both weatherproof and tamperproof with a 3-9mm auto iris lens for wall or ceiling mount: WDR-D3

Wide Dynamic Range Traditional Camera that accepts C & CS lenses DC/Video Auto Iris, Dual Voltage: WDR-T6

RoHS compliant.

sorry, I'd go with a Arecont3130 & IR............1 camera will blow away 5 analog cams..............use POE & Video Insight IP Server to capture the motion.

Analogue cctv will only give really good quality ID type resolution in a small area, try to cover a large area and your ability to id things drops.

You would need either megapixel, or multiple analogue cams, or restrict the viewpoint to certain 'choke' areas people have to pass.

I think I will look into the IP. I have been searching this forum and I have seen some outstanding images from this system.

I have not done one before so any info would be fantastic. I will be searching more on the subject. I do like the mega pixel cameras. That is what I saw searching on my subject. It looked like a movie. I think that would look way better on a plasma than the analog I was thinking about.

I just need to get a parts list of what is needed to run an IP system. from PC to camera. the cat5 part is not an issue. Voice and Data cable is my background. Being this system is for my parents house. We don't have the need for a big system. So a 4 ch would be fine for us.

I will take a pic of the steps, and post them to see what you guys think of what I am trying to achieve.

the system..............

- 4 channel Avermedia 1704net Hybrid OR Video Insight IP Server, & a C2D Dell

- Outdoor; Arcont 3130 with enclosures

- Indoor; Axis 207MW

- Netgear FS108P POE Switch

- 54G Linksys Router

- no monitor at the DVR...PC's work fine

as an option you can "pull" these camera's to a remote location, ie. your house, to protect the video. VI allows you to add more cams without buying another unit.

I just looked up the price for all this stuff not to bad. The camera is the most expensive.

Now this DVR. What kind of storage would I get with this camera. I will only have 1 camera probably on this DVR. Maybe 2 later. I kind of would like the DVR and not another PC in the house. I want to put the DVR in a closet near the Plasma TV and use the plasma as the monitor. I didn't notice a IR remote. Does it not have a remote. I was hoping it did so I can learn the commands into our theater remote and put an eye on the DVR so we can view and do anything from a seat.

So this DVR would smoke my speco TN4 series DVR That I was looking at with 300G.

I am getting real excited here. I want to order so bad. I like playing with new equipment. Analog is fun and I just got my toe wet with it. Now Digital may be in my future.

vst_man here............my account is suspended.using my Son's for a bit.

1704net is a basic 4 channel DVR, no Hybrid function as I wrote.............my mistake.

The 1704Hybird is the one you want and it comes witha remote. When ordered you don't get a HD.....a 250Gb is plenty of storage.

I won't talk down or compare. I just know what I know and recommend based off my testing of. Final decision is yours alone. my advice is free.

Snce your only doing one channel you only need to extend the VGA output to the "Big Screen". Just use a video splitter to supply more than one TV in the house...modulate it is and diplex it also a possibility. It has no monitor out or spot monitor. If you have a PC connected to your "big screen" you can also remote into that way also............easier in my opinion.

Consider a RF remote extender over a IR extender. RF goes anywhere and you don't have to point. That way if you extend the video output to the bedroom the remote works there with no issues.

Ohh yea. I figured out the Hybrid unit was the one to get. I guess I need to get an account going with one of these online stores. Just need to check and make sure they sell the camera and dvr in question, and make sure it has other stuff I don't currently sell.

I went to my dad's house today and took some photos of his pier. From the second landing down from the hill I got a great view. I was further ahead of trees to my left and right. I was able to get a better field of view. These shots are from the landing. I think if I go here and put in this IP camera. I think I will actually place it 12-15 feet to the left of where I took the picture from. That way I get better coverage. More of what is in both pictures.

Here are 3 shots from the location I think may be best. The last landing before the dock.

64942_1.jpg

64942_2.jpg

64942_3.jpg

Here are shots from the dock.

64942_4.jpg

64942_5.jpg

64942_6.jpg

This one is a shot of where I think I may want to put the camera. A little to the right of the landing though to get more in the shot since it will be one camera.

64942_7.jpg