boybloo

Cat5 - How much of the shield can be removed

Is there a limit to how much of the shield can be removed when using Cat5 for video & power.

I'm trying to use existing cabling to install 9 cameras. I have 7 lines to work with. The runs average about 180 ft. The longest is approximately 250ft.

With all of the sharing that will be going on (some runs will have video and power and the others will have only power) is it ok to remove 16 to 20 inches of the shield?

Can someone describe a neat way to terminate this set up, or maybe post a picture? I have yet to see a picture of cat5 terminated using anything but punch down terminals and Ethernet connectors.

You shouldn't be using shielded Cat5, either way though you can remove it entirely. What you must do is keep the wires twisted, thats what matters most.

Since the shield is not part of the signal path it should be normally be grounded to earth only at one end, wherever is most practical . Don't be afraid to cut back a foot or more of shield as needed at terminations.

For the wire pairs, for network use it's best to avoid having more than 1" of untwisted wire at any termination.

I'm sorry I am using UTP, it's the outer insulation that I was refering to but you've both given me the info I need - Thanks!