boybloo

2 questions - Mixing RG6 & RG59 - Cat5 kinks

He could try tripling it. He might get enough voltage to power the camera or he might not. It depends on the camera, the power supply, etc.

One thing he could do is the same as I did with the Dallmeier camera. If he used a power supply that was meant to replace a car battery (typically rated at 13.2 to 13.8 VDC), he would probably wind up with enough voltage at the camera. I'm too tired to do the math right now but the extra 1.8 volts should provide enough power with two or three pairs paralleled. He could try two, measure the voltage, and if it is too low add the third pair.

I was resigned to putting the power supplys in the store but I would really prefer to put them in the office.

Please tell me that I can triple up!

If I get 10.8 volts it would be ok?

What is the effect of low voltage? As I said these cameras have been running on low voltage for some time now.

Edited by Guest

Basically, you will have to install the power supply and cable, then test it before applying it to the cameras. Ofcourse the camera manufacturer, and the reseller, will tell you to use the suggested 18AWG one time though -so dont let them in on what you end up doing.

I was resigned to putting the power supplys in the store but I would really prefer to put them in the office.

Please tell me that I can triple up!

If I get 10.8 volts it would be ok?

What is the effect of low voltage? As I said these cameras have been running on low voltage for some time now.

What camera is it? Need to know what its power specs are.

Wouldn't a load have to be on the line when I test? I'm replacing a couple of those cheap bullets. I'll put one of them on the line to test.

Took out name of supplier - Can't vouch for the prouduct - It's their entry level infared, 12V, 1.4 watts & 300mA.

Edited by Guest

Wouldn't a load have to be on the line when I test? I'm replacing a couple of those cheap bullets. I'll put one of them on the line to test.

yup, eventually, but you can still test the volts to see how much initial loss there is coming from the PSU. Which camera though? Some box cams do 10VDC but not sure of the bullets.

Yes. If you measure the voltage with no load there would be no voltage drop across the line. And you have to measure at the camera end; not the power supply end.

Yes. If you measure the voltage with no load there would be no voltage drop across the line. And you have to measure at the camera end; not the power supply end.

Yes but its still good practice to test the cable to make sure he is getting 12volts. If he isn't getting 12 volts (or close to it) to begin with, then it will be even less once the camera is connected.

Edited by Guest

Gotcha Rory I'll test first.

How about this. I still have the individual 12V adapters that I took out. Can I just put power on the camera, do a rough connect on the camera, and test the line.

Or do I have to install everything in it's final configuration?

How about this. I still have the individual 12V adapters that I took out. Can I just put power on the camera, do a rough connect on the camera, and test the line.

Or do I have to install everything in it's final configuration?

Yes, it will give you a general idea, though if you are using a different PSU it may still differ in the end. But, yes.

What PSU will you be using eventually?

Don't have the specs on the power supplies right now but they look pretty solid.

They are 12v, nine Cameras which is good because although I have 16 cameras 9 are in one store and 7 in the other. So if/when I do put them in the stores there won't be an issue.

I honestly don't know why I am reluctant to put the power in the stores. The boxes have just been mounted to the wall & I've cut & labled the wires going from the supply to the camera junction box. To make the move now won't take much effort. It's just something unsetteling about the power being out there.

Is there a security issue with the supplies being in the stores

Where in the stores were you looking to place them?

9 channels sounds like OEM, Altronix is much better (typically 4-8-16-32 channel versions, and more expensive), but if they are entry level cameras then it wont matter much. Do they come with a key to lock the box?

I mean theoretically one could just disable the camera, at the camera anyways.

In both locations, there is room near the breaker panels. They won't be seen.

It's just cramped - you're killing me here man. If you're not careful it could turn out to be work.

That would be more ideal, why the cat5, was it all you had between the stores and the office? Could you just run RG5 Siamese to each camera. At the same location you place the PSU, attach the Balun to the cat5 for the video going back to the office, perhaps use a separate enclosure just for that, you could purchase some empty ones from either of the alarm/locksmith companies mentioned in the PM, or try an electrical store.

I mean theoretically one could just disable the camera, at the camera anyways.

I wasn't worried about burglary.

When we first got cameras the power was in the store and every so often the plug would some how work it's way out.

There is no lock but there are two screws. I could put a lock on there, do you think it's a good Idea/neacssary?

When we first got cameras the power was in the store and every so often the plug would some how work it's way out.

I'm sure it was accidental

That would be more ideal, why the cat5, was it all you had between the stores and the office? Could you just run RG5 Siamese to each camera. At the same location you place the PSU, attach the Balun to the cat5 for the video going back to the office, perhaps use a separate enclosure just for that, you could purchase some empty ones from either of the alarm/locksmith companies mentioned in the PM, or try an electrical store.

I was lucky enough to get an empty electrical panel to house everything in the office. As far as why Cat5, the company that installed the system used Cat5 I don't recall being a choice.

something I did a few years back, alarm and video, mixed 12VDC cameras and 24VAC, runs back from one store to the main store. Had to do it again, I would run RG59 back from the camera to the junction, then go from there with the baluns, as personally I think baluns are pretty flimsy. Also, although the client bought 2 different brands of baluns, neither really worked that well, 150' distance and there was a pretty good quality drop on at least a couple cameras, talked of installing an active RX at least for those, but he never got around to it; guess his expectations are less than mine

MVC-555F.JPG

Before we conclude let me ask, would it be better to join wire from 2 different cables. This should generate less heat which would result in less voltage loss.

I saw this somewhere in all of my reading today. I'm sure I haven't done the argument justice.