Hi everyone. Really like this forum and have learned a lot. but now need your help. My pc restarts every time I start my geovision system. I built a system running for about six months and all 4 camers worked but I reinstalled my os and software and now my system reboots whenever I enter geovision. I dont even need to login, just clicking the login part will restart the system after 5 seconds. I have loaded fresh drivers, moved the card to a different slot, loaded different versions of geovision, disabled virus protection, you name it. Here is a list of the system parts. board - mb-l4vxa2, cpu pent 2.66 ghz, mem - 512mb, os - windows xp prof, video - Nvidia Geforce mx 440, hard drive - wd 130 gb, Geovision card 800, have loaded versions 5.401 and 6.0. I don't really want to reinstall os again because its a pain but will if I have to. Any help? Thanks much and thanks for a really great forum.

Thanks for that info but I read it before. There is also yet another post like this and still no help. I have unchecked all the cameras and still the system will reboot after about 10 seconds with no cameras checked, every time. Man this is frustrating. It has to do with some wrong settings I think. Or not... I don't know. I'm all out of ideas. In honor of the new Star Wars box set let me just say this, help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope...

An ECS motherboard is about the worse brand you could have purchased. On top of the generic brand, it is a Via PX400 chipset which failed miserably in the market place because it was/is so slow and full of problems.

With that said, it deifintely sounds like drivers, but maybe it is not the Geovision drivers, maybe it is the motherboards chipset drivers. Sis you use the same ones (maybe off the CD included as you did with the orginal install)? Or have you tried going to VIA's website and downloading the latest VIA drivers?

On top of it, I think GeoVision does not support VIA chipsets, depsite the fact some have had no issues.

Try www.via.com.tw to look for the latest drivers, but if not I think I would look to getting an intel 865/875 chipset motherboard and get the headaches over sooner rather than later.

Let me know if this helps,

MamaJama

Don't know if this would help, but if you've connected the watchdog function, disconnect it and try again. I use to have a similar problem, but that was because i never used to uncheck the cameras, and had was only using 5 cameras on a 8 camera port.

The no camera conencted reboot only reboots Geo not a machine, I would say either your video card or mainboard is struggling with load or perhaps wrong drivers, could be a chipset problem too, try an intel chipset if not already and re install the geo sofware

is it showing you any error messages? what brand and speed memory are you using? cheap memory will cause you problems indefinately. buy the best, every time. i prefer corsair brand, some people like others. i like corsair as they offer top notch products, great price and offer a lifetime waranty.

first, check the system logs and see what is causing your reboots. click Start>Settings>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer. Look at the system log, it may show you the possible hardware issue or check the application log to see if its a software issue, or possibly both.

on 2000 and XP, the system will automatically reboot if it cannot recover from the problem. check your settings.....click Start>Settings>Control Panel>System .. Then goto your advanced tab and click on "Startup and Recovery" Uncheck automatically reboot It might possibly show you the error message insted of rebooting.

hope some of this helps.

Yea DVR_Expert definitely, main thing ive learnt from you and others on this forum is component quality. Previously we would buy of the shelf computers from a retail suppliers, just a standard 1.8Ghz celeron, 512mb ram, and every system we installed crashed within two or three months, the computer was ok, PSU use to go, stopped recording etc.

Only recently, we've started using higher quality components, and our systems although £60-£100 more expensive, a lot more reliable, less tech support etc. Like to thank all the guys on this forum, we've received incredible tech support, better than some of our own dvr suppliers could offer!

no problems, biggest reason for Geo reboots is always the following, failure to use a software interactive UPS, results in corrupted data, then when writing to that part of the corrupted drive ...blamo..reboot,

The other reason is not haveing cameras connected you need at least one camera connected or the Geo software (not the whole machine) will restart all the time.