Mattb

GE Fixed Dome camera questions

I've put in a lot of the GE DM-1500 mini-dome fixed cameras. The DM-1500s are a high-resolution color camera. They attach nicely to a 4/o electrical box. I have some outdoor applications and some High-Contrast lighting locations, and want to use the GE DR-1500 cameras outside, and the DI-XP2 wide dynamic range camera for the high contrast locations. GE Security tech support has gotten better on answering the phone, but the guys seem to have only the same information the web offers - no dimensions for the mounting holes.

Does anyone know if the GE DR and/or DI-XP2 series mini-dome cameras attach to an electrical box? Is it really weatherproof - it doesn't have a heater like the Pelco IS110 series, but is a little cheaper. Anyone used the DI-XP2 wide-dynamic mini-dome camera and was happy with it? I’ve used the XP1 standard body wide-dynamic camera with overall satisfactory results – great camera with enough light, but the image goes grainy at lower light levels.

Hey Matt, great selection of GE hardware...

You can attach to an electrical box... Do not have the exact measurements right now, but there is nothing special about these boxes... Dime a dozen in Home Depot...

DM-1500 series mini domes are IP66 compliant, therefore they are weather proof... but here are the range that they can handle... "The dome can withstand temperatures ranging from 14° to 122° F (-10° to 50° C)." Will it withstand major colds or rains, well I do not think so, as it does not come with built in heater and blower...

DI-XP2 series on the other hand, I will not install outdoors.. as they are not IP66 compliant.. and have a temperature range Operating temperature: 14 to 113°F (-10 to 45°C)... Construction wise, it is very well built, but again, I will not consider it for outdoor use.. Rather it balances overall picture based on an amount of light and dark that it can sense... and improves the picture quality..

None of these models are true day/night, so do not expect them to perform flawlessly.

Each come with very neat features called "EXview" (in case of DM-1500) and "XPosure" (in case of DI-XP2), but none of these features will give you pure B&W "visible" picture in the evening with specially with lower light levels. In both cases you can expect to see grainy picture if your lighting conditions are not adequate...

If you place it directly outdoors, not under an eave or cover, then make sure caulk it up good, around the base for example, otherwise you may be going back to it alot.

PS. DM-1500 is the indoor dome, color only. The DR-1500 is color only also, no exview in that. They have the DR-1800 for the Color/Mono version, and the DR-2000 for the Exview.

Personally I never did like the DM-1500, for a couple dollars more you could get the DR-1500 which is a much better picture IMO.

Thanks for the feedback. I had thought the DM-1500 and DR-1500 were the same camera in different housings. There is a big leap in the cost of the DR1500 and the DR-1800/DR-2000. The DM-1500 gives a great image, but if little hands can reach it, they can open it. I was going to use the DR-1500s for outside but with no direct exposure to rain and under good illumination, with Pelco IS-110 product in the DW (wide dynamic, day night) & CH (Color High resolution) on pendant mounts in the rain. In light of the response, I may go all Pelco outside. The Pelco Dynamic range and day/night cameras don't seem to cost too much more than the Pelco CH (color high rez). Pelco has always been reliable for me, and has great phone support. I have seen some negative posts on pelco, but overall I haven't had any problems with their product.

Hi, actually last time I bought them the DR-1500 and DR-1800 were only like a $20 difference. The DR-2000 is yes a huge difference in price though.