McDiesel

Access 2 DVRs Remotely with Wavereader

Hi Guys

We had this setup before but a lightning strike took out the router and cable modem so we had to start over. I was not involved in the original

setup so I'm in the dark about how it may have been accomplished.

In this configuration we have 2 DVRs, a SDVR-16P and an SDVR-16PII. Basically one is for inside cameras and one is for outside cameras. If I

setup the router to the static IP we got from the ISP and setup both DVR units with a Private Address (192.x.x.x) I can access the units on the

local network via WaveReader.

I tried to setup a Port Forward for each device but I understand that DVR1 and DVR2 can't use the same port numbers simultaneously as that is a

conflict so I setup one DVR and port forwarded the private IP on 1024 and on port 80, only on TCP and enabled it. When I try via WaveReader

remotely I can access the indoor cameras. Too bad that wasn't the end of it.

The owner of the store wants to be able to access both indoor and outdoor cameras (of course) but the WaveReader software will only "see" ports

1024 and port 80 unless I edit the bwval.dat file, then I believe we can change port numbers. Bottom line is that it would not be good for the end

user (store owner) to have to edit files to switch back and forth.

The ISP re-did our Netblock and we have three static IP addresses. I don't think we should need more than one or two but I need some guidance as

to what is missing. I had the idea (misconception?) that if the router was setup to Static IP #1 and the Dvrs were configured for Static IP #2 and

Static IP #3 then we could just put the static addresses in WaveReader at the remote site and pull them right up. Something is missing in this

plan since with this config I cannot see cameras from either DVR. To me it'd be best if we could setup WaveReader to check 80/1024 for DVR1 and

another pair of ports for DVR2 and then use the one static IP for the router and be good to go. Ideally we just need to get it to work again but

if we can drop any static IP's in the process then the monthly expenses would go down too.

Anyone have any guidance at all to offer? Thanks

Ok here's the deal- the problem is SOLVED. By copying the WaveReader folder and pasting it back into c:\Program Files you get "Copy of Wavereader". I renamed that to WaveReader2 and sent a shortcut to the desktop. Within WaveReader2 browse to the file called bwval.dat and right click, select "Open With" and choose Notepad. There will be one line of text that is REMMED out- click the second line and turn CAPS on (May not have to be CAPS but CAPS worked for me). Type the following line

REMOTE_PORT = 1025

There is a space before and after the equal sign. Now go back into your router and finish up. For DVR1 you have an IP specified at 192.x.x.125 (for example) Do your port forwards as usual to port 80 and port 1024, TCP Only, and enable. For DVR2 you have an IP specified at 192.x.x.126 (for example) Do your port forwards to port 81 and port 1025, TCP Only, and enable. You may actually only need to port forward on 1025 and not 81 but I was so tired of fighting with this and I put it in this way and it worked.

Now you have 2 WaveReader shortcuts on the desktop. I called one Wavereader Inside and the other Wavereader Outside since it matches this application but you can call them anything you like. Hope this is helpful to somebody at some point. We can dump 2 static IP's too

Cool, just a note, with the 2 Static IPs from the ISP, you could just use a hub (maybe a switch too but its been years since I did this and a hub was what we used back then) and then it will go straight through to the appropriate PC/DVR, no port forwarding needed.

Cool, just a note, with the 2 Static IPs from the ISP, you could just use a hub (maybe a switch too but its been years since I did this and a hub was what we used back then) and then it will go straight through to the appropriate PC/DVR, no port forwarding needed.

Considered that but a Linksys only lets you specify a single Static IP. I am not sure the 3 Static IP's were bound properly on the ISP's end since we couldn't route to the 2 DVR's when they were set to the Static (Public) IPs

Yeah i mean using a Hub, not a router, any old cheap hub, the hubs didnt allow for any IP to be set. So if you paid for 3 IPs for that Internet Account, 3 PCs or DVRs connected to that hub would be able to use a static Ip each. Did this before routers came around, cant remember if we ever actually connected to the PC or if I had a DVR at the time, but each were online without problems. Guess it depends on the ISP also.

Yeah i mean using a Hub, not a router, any old cheap hub, the hubs didnt allow for any IP to be set. So if you paid for 3 IPs for that Internet Account, 3 PCs or DVRs connected to that hub would be able to use a static Ip each. Did this before routers came around, cant remember if we ever actually connected to the PC or if I had a DVR at the time, but each were online without problems. Guess it depends on the ISP also.

I guess I don't follow- we have ONE cable Modem connection and 3 static IP addresses- One Cable modem = One cable. If I had 3 Static IP addresses and 3 Cable modems and a switch but... I don't follow

You said you paid for 2 Static IPs from the ISP?

If thats the case they assign those 2 IPs to the 1 single Cable modem.

You then get a basic hub, 1 cable goes from the Cable modem to the hub. The other 2 computers/DVRs connect to that hub also. Now both Computers/DVRs are online.

I know it works for outgoing, though Ive never used it for incoming. But, should work also, as the remote user sends a request to the ISP using that IP, the ISP takes that then sends it to that Cable modem, it should just go right through it to whichever computer/DVR has that IP set up in its networking. .. should.

The reason we use Routers is to get away from paying for multiple IPs, basically.